12. A Dying Rose

Chapter Twelve || A Dying Rose

Erik

"Erik, I am not Christine."

Her brown eyes fumed with anger and hurt. I was too stunned to reply.

I knew she wasn't Christine. Even though they both had an angelic voice Mélodie wasn't Christine. And Christine could never be Mélodie. My Mélodie.

Christine had feared my face the first time she had unmasked me. It was the night I brought her down to my lair. I couldn't bear it if the same thing happened with Mélodie.

I was aware that Mélodie had seen my face before. Long ago when she was a small child. But over time her image of me has surely morphed into something less grotesque. Why else would she love me now?

Before I could bring myself from my shock - she was gone. I left the rooftop alone and went down to the dungeon I called my home. Running my hands through my hair I thought over what I should do.

She looked hurt. She sounded angry.

But if she saw my demonic face I would lose her forever. Just like I lost Christine.

I couldn't lose Mélodie, too. If I lost her I wouldn't wait for myself to wither away and die like I had before. No. Instead I would suffer as I had made others suffer with my Punjab Lasso.

Walking through a hidden hallway I trekked to her room. I had to see her. I had to apologize or...or I'm not sure what. All I know is I need to see her.

Opening the door quietly so I wouldn't awaken Violette I entered the small room. There were two beds on opposite sides of the room, each had a nightstand and a trunk at the end of the bed. Looking through the darkness I made sure Violette was still asleep. She wasn't. In fact, her bed is empty. And so is Mélodie's. Odd. Where could they be at this time of the night? Mélodie especially. The only time it was okay for her to be out in the middle of the night was when she was with me. Me and only me.

Still I walked over to her bed to stare at the messy sheets. The rose I had given her a while ago laid next to her on her nightstand. I should give her more roses. And presents. She deserves lots and lots of presents.

If she wasn't here now there's no reason for me to stare at her belongings. I suppose I should return to my lair and wait until daytime to find her.

"Hello, Erik."

My body froze at the voice.

"It is 'Erik', correct? Or should I call you Phantom?"

I turned towards Violette's voice, seeing only her eyes in the darkness. She spoke again, "Do you prefer Opera Ghost?"

I spoke to her low and calm, "Violette. Where is Mélodie?"

She stepped forward into the moonlight, "I thought you would know. After all it is you she goes to visit in the middle of the night. Have you bed her yet?"

Anger boiled up inside me, my fingers twitching towards the lasso on my hip, "Ofcourse not."

Her smile made me feel sick. She walked around her bed and sat down, "Has she told you yet?"

"Told me what?"

"About her family. Has she told you what happened to her parents? Has she told you how they died?"

Mélodie

Sleep has never come easy to me. Tonight was no different. I kept thinking of Erik and what happened tonight on the roof. Perhaps I was too harsh. Perhaps I pushed him too much. If he didn't want to show me his face I shouldn't force him to. He never forced me to tell him about my family. He just needs more time. We both need more time. Unfortunately time on my end is running short.