The Angel's Shadow Teaser

|| Sequel to The Shadow's Melody ||

Mélodie

Taking a moment to make sure everything is in its place I pinned back a stray curl and smoothed out my dress. Hearing footsteps echo off of the damp stone walls I smiled. After living here for the past few months I am able to determine exactly where the footsteps are coming from and how far away they are. Erik had designed the opera house so that he was able to hear everything - and I do mean everything - that goes on within the Opéra Populaire.

Hiding around the corner I waited for his tall dark form to come through the door. A second later there he was, tall and strong. The Phantom of the Opera. My husband. My Erik. My shadow.

His long legs gracefully carried him right past me. I drank in the sight of his wide strong shoulders hidden inside his jacket. Ofcourse he is wearing his usual black attire. His long gloved fingers hung up his cloak. The side of his face that is covered with his mask faced where I hid, his thick black hair combed back as usual. It still feels like a dream that I'll wake up from. If I ever did awaken from it...I couldn't bear it.

His green eyes sparkled in the candle light as he saw the table set up in front of him. He looked around the lair, I assumed to search for me, and went closer to the table. Sneaking out of my hiding place I creeped up behind him. He raised his head again, his deep voice resonating off of the stone walls, "Mélodie?"

Squealing I jumped and wrapped my arms around his waist, pressing my cheek against his back with a smile on my face, "Happy birthday, Erik!"

His brows shot up and he grabbed my hands, stumbling back at the force of my attack, "Mélodie! You startled me!"

My mouth fell open in fake shock and I peered up at him around his shoulder, "Moi (me), Mélodie Destler, scare the famous Opera Ghost? Impossible."

Smirking he rolled his eyes, "I was worried. You didn't answer me when I called for you and then you jump out and attack me like a wild animal."

I giggled against his back, "Have you never heard of a surprise, Erik?"

He turned in my arms and rested his forehead against mine, "I haven't had a history of pleasant surprises."

My smile softened.

Ofcourse. With the life he had I'm sure his definition of surprise wasn't the same as the average person. Surprises to him were people hiding in the shadows waiting to attack him because the human race had labeled him a monster. Not parties to celebrate his birthday. I glanced up at him, "I'm sorry, Erik."

He rubbed his nose against mine with a smirk playing on his lips, "You were the first pleasant surprise I had ever received."

He pressed his lips to mine and I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. Pulling back I whispered, "Is your surprise birthday dinner on the list of pleasant surprises?"

He peered over his shoulder at the dinner table and then turned back to me, his lips pulled upwards, "Yes but..."

I frowned, "But what?"

He held me closer and I could feel his chest rumble as he spoke, "I...I don't know when my birthday is."

My frown disappeared and I excitedly dashed into our bedroom for the paper I had gotten weeks ago.

A while ago I had asked Erik when his birthday was and he had told me what he said now, "I don't know when my birthday is." With my brother being King of New France I was able to pull a few strings, enabling me to make the sheet of paper I am now handing to Erik.

Holding it in his hands his emerald eyes scanned the paper. A moment later he met my smiling eyes, his dark brows knitted together in an unspoken, "What is this?"

I stood before him with my hands held behind my back, rocking my weight onto my toes, "It isn't the real one but it will do."

He glanced down at the paper again and said, "A birth certificate?"

Biting my smile I stepped forward, the hem of my dress brushing over his leather shoes, "Oui (yes). It is my present for you. I thought since we don't know your birthday we could make one for you."

He looked at the paper again, a smile slowly coming to his lips. My squeal bounced off the stone walls of the lair as Erik spun me around, "So it is my birthday!"

His eyes were lit up like a child at Christmas time. After he set me down we began his grand birthday supper. A romantic supper for two. Or technically...three.

Shoving another fork full of food into my already filled cheeks I froze, meeting Erik's gaze, "What?"

The corner of his mouth is pulled upward and there is an amused sparkle in his eyes, "Our son seems to be hungry."

Swallowing, I sat back and dabbed the corners of my mouth, "It will be terribly embarrassing for you if our son turns out to be a girl."

Taking a sip of his wine Erik mirrored me and sat back in his chair, "It will be a boy, Mélodie."

I smiled behind my glass, "If you say so."

Seeing that my plate was squeaky clean and my eyes were frequently darting to his half eaten supper, Erik shoved his plate towards me - which I practically dove into. Can I help it if I'm famished all the time? I am eating for two now.

Erik's note from this morning entered my mind, "Prepare for a surprise when I return."

Taking a gulp of water I peered over the table at my husband, "Erik?"

He rested his head in his hand and gave me a half, almost lazy smile, the wine settling in, "Yes, mon amour (my love)?"

I smiled at the butterflies in my stomach, "In your note you said you had a surprise for me when you return. You've...returned."

His smile dropped and he sat up straighter, "Ah, yes. I nearly forgot."

Silence stretched on as I waited for him to continue. When all he did was stare at the table cloth I eagerly urged him, "Well?"

His eyes flickered to mine and returned to the spot on the table he suddenly found so interesting. At last he spoke, low and hesitant, "Mélodie..."

Leaning forward, excitement spreading my lips into a smile, I said, "Yes?"

He leaned back, his elbow on the chair's arm, his finger rubbing his lips, "I've...I've been looking at a house. For us. For us and the baby."

I felt my heart drop to the floor, "A-a house?"