9

The next two weeks passed by rather uneventfully. Severus and Olivia had a few more brewing sessions which Olivia found thrilling and Severus found frustrating.

How dare she strut around his dungeons, dressed in tight muggle clothing and dancing about.

Severus was 100% sure she was doing this on purpose. Surely he was being punished for that damn caterwaul charm. He supposed he should apologize; pull her close to his body and shag her until they collapsed from fatigue, only to start again when they were rested. But Severus was a proud man and refused to apologize for something that didn't warrant an apology.

Severus ended up despising himself, as usual. Sure, he and Olivia continued to talk and flirt, but Ivan was slowly making progress with her as well. Severus thought about fighting for the witch. He really liked her, but in the grand scheme, what was the point? If they slept together, she'd no doubt see his dark mark - which had been steadily growing darker by the day - and she'd leave him anyway. Better to not even attempt a relationship. The train of thought got him a slap to the back of the head by Minerva during one of her nosey interrogations.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX 

On the second Thursday of December, the Yule ball was announced to the school. The Hogwarts staff and visiting headmasters were aware, of course, but Olivia, Ivan, and the rest of the students were pleasantly surprised.

Minerva had chuckled to herself as she plotted to get the students all riled up at the end of her transfiguration class with her announcement. Dumbledore had mentioned that the heads of house would have to instruct their students in the Waltz. She would sell her soul to watch Severus teach a bunch of hormonal teenagers to dance. She wasn't even sure if he could dance.

Minerva did the next best thing and bribed Dumbledore. He'd set up a schedule for the dance lessons. It did actually make sense, since all the students would have to miss classes for this. The Great Hall would be booked for the lessons, Gryffindor first, then Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and then Slytherin. The Beauxbatons and Durmstrang would have their own lessons in their living quarters.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Minerva stepped into the middle of the hall, as Filch set up the enchanted record player. The girls were seated to the left and the boy's to the right, sitting on makeshift bleachers. "The Yule Ball," she stammered, distracted with the crackling static Filch was causing, "has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception". Minerva clasped her hands together while she promenaded around the room, lecturing the students on the history. "On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather here, in the Great Hall, for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, each and everyone of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally, because do you board is, first and foremost, for dance". Minerva pauses as the female students began chattering excitedly amongst each other, whilst the boys groaned at the idea.

"Silence!" She called out, raising her hands to hush the students. When she was satisfied, she continued. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons," she scolded as she glanced around the room, attempting to make eye contact with her trouble makers that were scattered around. She heard the Weasley twins in the background, attempting her tongue twister as she struggled to block them out.