chapter 6 - decision

- Story originally written 20th January 2020, fully edited 18th March 2023 and further edited 30th December 2023 onwards.
- This part was originally re-published 23rd March 2023. Renamed 2nd January 2024.

Warnings:
> 0

IMPORTANT: this story has been edited throughout chapters 1-6, if you are reading this chapter after a long period of time, it's advised to (re/) read from chapter 1.

———

The sorting hat was muttering indistinguishable words, all while the tension in the room got thicker and thicker. He wanted to be placed in Slytherin, but knowing that he may get his wish makes him want to rip the hat off his head. 

After what felt like hours, which in reality was only a couple seconds, the Sorting Hat started speaking, "Decisions, decisions, decisions, what should I do with you? What house shall I put you in? Ravenclaw? No, no. Hufflepuff? I don't think so, maybe Slytherin.." Harry's heart started beating faster, making him feel lightheaded. "My decision is undetermined."

The teachers at the head of the hall looked towards each other, whispering amongst themselves, as were the students. Dumbledore picked the hat up, removing it from Harry's head before placing it down again, "I've already made my decision," it spoke sassily, "Harry Potter, undetermined."

"Harry, could you make your way to my office?" 

"Yes sir." he whispered, before he stood up his eyes met with Draco's, just for a second but long enough for a feeling to wash over him a feeling he knows all too well, he needed a hug and Draco looked really huggable. Harry made his way to the doors as another student got called to the front.

Right now he felt like the best thing would be death, the last thing he desired was attention from his teachers. He didn't understand why the hat was making that decision, but he knew that some type of blame would be put on him, that he was going to be asked question after question. 

Harry sat down, the room was filled with random artefacts, paintings, and potions. A noise was heard making his green eyes move to the door, Dumbledore, Snape and Hagrid walked through and accompanied Harry in the office. "We are unsure of why the sorting hat made that decision, in all of my years I have never known of this happening," Dumbledore started, "Do you have any link to this? Did you place a spell on the hat? Talk to it? Try to convince an answer you want?"

Harry shook his head, "No I didn't do anything." Dumbledore simply nodded his head, not quite believing him, the boy carried on, "If I was trying to sabotage my re-sorting, why would I ask for it to say undetermined? Why wouldn't I ask to be in a specific house?"

"He does have a certain point." The bushy bearded giant, Hagrid, noted while looking towards Harry. 

Harry knew that Hagrid would always believe him, no matter what, and that was something he was grateful for. 

After a lengthy conversation of questions being asked and them unsure of his innocence, the only one certain of his innocence was Hagrid, McGonagall walked into the office, sorting hat in hand, "Majority of the students whose re-sorting was planned for this morning have been completed, although quite a few names have yet to be checked off the list." For the third time, Dumbledore placed the hat back on top of Harry's head, "Haven't I been on this person's head of late? Harry Potter, correct?" 

Harry stared towards the floor, not fully listening to the hat droning on, "Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, Gryffindor. Undetermined." He was classed as undetermined again, "I think the best way to solve this predicament is by placing Harry back into Gryffindor, at least until a clear answer is given from the sorting hat."

Harry felt a slight pang of disappointment settle in his chest at Dumbledore's words, "If I may sir," interjected Snape, "Maybe Potter should be placed into a different house, perhaps the house he was originally expected to be placed in." Everyone in the room, including Harry, knew he was destined to be in Slytherin. 

Dumbledore nodded in reply, looking to be deep in thought. "If Harry is happy with that placement idea, then yes, he may be placed in Slytherin." he faced the boy, "It seems you have a choice, Gryffindor or Slytherin? This choice would be mostly permanent with a slight possibility to be changed in the future, only in dire circumstances."

Harry was at a loss for words, he had no idea what to choose, should he go back to Gryffindor or should he go to the house he always felt like he was destined for?

Harry turned to Snape, "I thought I was hated in Slytherin, would I be welcome there?" 

"Slytherins don't hate you, we tend to be," he took a slight pause, "You could say distant, then there's.. our history." He spoke the last past hesitantly, seemingly unsure of how to put their challenging past into words. 

"What will be your decision, Harry?"

-
766 words - chapter 6: decision

I'm fine, leave me alone!On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara