chapter eight

... thanksgiving day

IT WAS THAT TIME OF YEAR. The holiday season had arrived once more. If there was a time that Layne wished she could skip over, it was then. Life always got so extremely busy during those last couple of months of the year. Lots of nurses had to work overtime to keep up with the influx of patients coming in. It all started on Thanksgiving. People did stupid stuff and didn't stop until after New Years. Layne had seen one too many people impaled with a candy cane. Every year without a doubt! She had to somewhat appreciate the consistency of it.

At least something stayed the same in her life.

One thing that she did appreciate about the season was that she got paid double to work on holidays, like Thanksgiving. It wasn't a day that Layne (or her family) celebrated. That meant that she didn't have any prior arrangements on that day, so when Daisy York — a sweet young girl who had started after the merger — had asked her so kindly to switch, Layne hadn't been able to refuse.

The poor girl had already felt bad enough to just ask, since she had only been there for a couple of months. But, her boyfriend's family had planned the special dinner and Daisy didn't want to miss out on it, since it would be the first year she and her boyfriend spent the holidays together.

How could Layne say no to that?

"Ouch. What happened there?" Imogen popped up in front of Layne. The latter was at the nurses' station, going through the pen holders to look for one that worked. Her light green one with little daisies on it — she had gotten it as a present from her neighbour's daughter. It nicely matched the colour of her scrubs — had run out of ink.

Layne looked up briefly, following Imogen's eyes across the emergency room. A patient — a man around the age of 40 — was cradling his left arm, which had severe burns. The entire area was red and charred. "He had an accident while deep frying the turkey for dinner. Third degree burns. Dr. Sloan should be here soon, actually? You didn't see him on your way here perhaps?"

"No, I didn't see him, sorry," Imogen answered. Layne nodded absentmindedly, while she lifted her foot from the ground. She angled it, so she could test out the pens on the sole of her sneakers. "I'm getting off in a couple of minutes, actually. I wanted to see you before I leave."

Layne's feet were back on the floor. She scribbled something down in the burn patient's chart. "Oh! Going to celebrate Thanksgiving with Joseph? Anything special planned for dinner?"

Imogen smiled. "I don't know actually. He had a day off today, so he's preparing everything. It'll be a surprise, which is nice. Some friends and family are coming over, that I do know," The blonde suddenly tapped her fingers on the desk. "Oh, before I forget, I left something for you in your locker. Joseph made these delicious cookies over the weekend."

"Oh, that's so sweet. You didn't have to."

Imogen squinted her eyes, as she pointed at her. "You can't say no, Layne."