chapter fifteen

"HI, THIS IS CORINNE

"HI, THIS IS CORINNE. I'M NOT HERE. LEAVE A MESSAGE AFTER THE BEEP!"

Layne let out a deep sigh. She removed the phone from against her ear and looked at it, with a dejected look on her face. She put it safely back into her pocket. She had been trying to reach Corinne ever since she clocked in that morning. She hoped that she would get a call back somewhere during the day.

She leaned backwards. Her neck found a comfortable spot at the top part of the chair. Her eyes stared up at the ceiling. Layne couldn't help but wonder what she had done wrong. She knew it was something, because Corinne isn't the type to ignore phone calls. Especially phone calls. Missing a couple of texts had happened on more than one account, but Layne learned over the years that if there was something important that she needed to call Corinne, instead of texting her.

Layne shook her head, bringing herself back to reality. She can't keep hoping for a call back. She should be focussed on her work. It wasn't like she could will Corinne into calling her back. She couldn't let her personal problems interfere with her work. Her patients didn't deserve that kind of treatment. It wasn't fair to them. She made a mental note to put her phone back into her locker, getting rid of the distraction.

Layne felt a soft tap on her shoulder. Elizabeth stood next to her. Strands of her long brown hair had made it out of the ponytail. Normally she wears it loose, but that morning she felt like doing something different. She let Layne comb it and neatly tuck it away in a low ponytail, right before their shift had started.

"Hey."

"Hey."

Elizabeth sat down on the desk, sliding a stack of papers away in the meantime. Her hands gripped the edge of the table top. If Layne didn't know her so well, she would've squirmed underneath that fierce gaze of hers. "Everything alright?"

Layne nodded slowly, "Yeah, why?"

"Your hey sounded sadder than usual," She squinted her eyes at Layne, leaning forward as she did so. Layne's eyes focussed on the accusing finger in front of her. "Are you sure that nothing is up? Please don't make me go on another rant, Lanes."

Layne looked down at her lap, contemplating. Elizabeth waited patiently, inspecting the nail polish that was looking so chipped. Layne despondently pushed her phone forward. "Corinne hasn't been returning my calls lately."

"Your best friend?"

Layne nodded.

"I'm sure that it's nothing. Something might be wrong with her phone?" Elizabeth tried to be helpful, placing her hand on Layne's shoulder. A tiny, but comforting smile on her lips, hoping that it reached Layne.

"It's not like I go directly to voicemail. I hear it going over, but nothing. My texts seem to arrive as well. I don't know... Did I do something wrong? Did I —" Layne covered her face with her hands.