Kameosa

Kameosa are old earthenware jugs which have changed into tsukumogami objects that have been around for so long that they develop a spirit. They look like ordinary water jugs, except that they have eyes, noses, mouths, and limbs.

A kameosa still works as a jug, even as it gains the ability to move about the house. They are always full of water, and never need to be refilled. They are a bit mischievous like all tsukumogami, although while they may wander around the house a little bit, they don't do anything harmful to humans.

Despite their strange appearance, kameosa are actually spirits of good fortune. They can serve an endless supply of clean water. No matter how much water is scooped out for cooking, cleaning, or drinking, they always remain full. Thus, they are extremely useful yōkai to have around the house.

Kameosa was invented by Toriyama Sekien in his fourth yōkai encyclopedia, Hyakki tsurezure bukuro, a book full of tsukumogami based on puns. Kameosa may be a pun based on Koikawa Harumachi, a student of Sekien's whose nickname was Kameosa (written with different characters) and who loved drinking. As kameosa is the final yōkai in the book, it is also the final yōkai in Sekien's yōkai series. He may have designed this yōkai of good luck and bounteous fortune as a way to end his book and his series on a positive, celebratory note.