Nobiagari

Nobiagari are dangerous shape-changing yokai which can stretch to become extremely tall. When not stretching, they appear as shadowy or smokey, indistinct, rock-like shapes about 30 centimeters high.

Nobiagari ordinarily spent their time close to the ground in bamboo groves. Because of their indistinct shape and small size they blend in easily with the environment.

When a person comes face to face with a nobiagari, the nobiagari rapidly increases in height. It shoots up taller than the person, and however high they raise their head, the nobiagari always stretches higher. While the person is looking up at the nobiagari, their throat is bared. Then the nobiagari attacks.

The way they attack varies from place to place. In Ehime, it is said that a nobiagari bites into its victim’s throat and tears it out with its sharp teeth. In Tokushima, a nobiagari wraps its elongated body around its victim’s neck and strangles them. In Kagawa, a nobiagari topples forward onto its victim and crushes them.

Escape from a nobiagari is possible if a person keeps their eyes aimed downwards and refuses to look up. Kicking in an area around 30 centimeters above the ground will cause the nobiagari to disappear.