Chapter 20

"Nancy?" Steve spluttered.

He sounded like he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

Although Eddie was equally as surprised, he stayed quiet. He didn't know Nancy very well, despite everything.

Meanwhile, Robin blushed at Harrington's reaction.

"I'm sorry, Steve, I know that you like her, but I can't help it!"

Steve shook his head.

"I- I don't know why everyone keeps saying that I like her, but it's not true," he stammered. "And of course, like her all you want. I was just... a bit surprised, I guess."

"Yeah," Eddie echoed. "Nancy and Robin, what a picture..."

He handed the snack bowl to Steve, who dug out a handful of popcorn.

"It's not that surprising, is it?" Robin asked.

Her tone was pleading.

"Well, it's just that she never gave me that impression," Eddie offered.

Robin scoffed, a new smile on her face.

"Well, excuse me if I don't find that very strange. You couldn't tell if someone was gay if they shouted it from the rooftops."

"Hey, that's not fair!" Eddie exclaimed and he reached around Steve's shoulder to give her a light shove. "I've noticed stuff."

"Oh really?"

Robin could not have sounded more dubious.

"Yes. Haven't you seen Mike and Will together?"

Steve turned to him, his mouth hanging open.

"They like each other?" he asked in disbelief.

"I think so."

Eddie grinned at the expression on his face.

"Will... and Mike." Robin looked thoughtful behind him. "I guess that makes sense."

"Of course it does," Eddie replied. "They've been disappearing for hours together, ever since we all got back, and they always have the lamest excuses. I know for a fact that they weren't just talking when they went on that camping trip at the beginning of April."

"But what about Eleven?" Steve asked.

"What about her?" Eddie scoffed. "She must have realized by now."

Robin looked doubtful.

"I dunno, she can be pretty clueless at times."

"Not that clueless."

"You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't pick up on obvious things," Steve said, looking at Eddie pointedly.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he exclaimed.

"Nothing." Steve refused to elaborate.

Robin sighed.

"I really don't think it's fair to Eleven though."

"Why? It's not like Mike could suddenly tell her that he likes boys!" Eddie said in exasperation.

"No... but he could at least break up with her, in a nice way," Robin offered.

"Yeah, I guess so," he agreed.

They were silent for a moment.

"They're really cute together, now that you mention it," Robin said eventually.

"I know, right?" Eddie grinned softly.

"I'm sorry, can we circle back to Nancy again?" Steve asked, rejoining the conversation again.

"Sure, what about it?" Robin asked lazily.

"Well, are you going to ask her out or something?"

Robin squinted at him sideways.

"Would you mind if I did? Eventually, I mean, not now."

The slight tremor in her voice let Eddie know that she cared a lot about Steve's answer, much more than she would probably ever reveal.

"Of course not!" Steve exclaimed. "Me and Nance are very much over!"

Robin smiled and pulled him towards her, knocking their heads together gently in another makeshift hug.

"Thanks, Steve."

"As if I would ever come between you and a girl!" Steve sounded borderline offended by the entire conversation, but there was enough of a smile on his face that Eddie wasn't worried.

"This has just been a complete evening of hugs and confessions, hasn't it?" he interrupted them.

Robin and Steve detached and they all grinned at each other.

"Yeah, maybe we should actually pick a movie," Robin laughed.

"We still haven't looked through all of them," Steve said, moving to stand up.

"Well, god knows I've got a huge collection, so that isn't really a surprise." Robin stood up as well.

Eddie sat on the couch for a moment longer and watched the two of them flipping through their options. He was thinking about what his life had been like before the Upside Down, when he only had friends from the Hellfire Club. Now, he couldn't imagine life without Robin, or even Steve, to be honest.

"Hey, are you going to help us?" Steve called, looking over his shoulder at him.

"Hmm?" Eddie snapped out of his thoughts.

"We're picking a movie?" Steve reminded him with a lopsided grin.

Clearly he was enjoying Eddie's momentary confusion.

"Oh, right. Yes, I'll help."

"Please do!" Robin begged. "Steve has the worst taste in movies and I need you on my side!"

"Alright, alright, I'm coming," he sighed, pulling himself up.

Darling [Steve x Eddie]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara