xii | poolside chats

KIMBERLY

AFTER CAREFUL CONSIDERATION, I knew I was fucked.

And not in a nice way.

The little display from earlier had me woefully flustered out of my mind. When Jace and I ended up in the hotel's lobby to meet up with Van and Benicio, the former had a knowing look on her face as her eyes switched between me and her boss.

Benicio looked happy to see me. I didn't blame him; we ended things on very good terms. He reached out to give me a friendly hug, only to pull back the second Jace cleared his throat obnoxiously.

"That sounds like a bad cough. Is the weather getting to you, honey?" I innocently asked, batting my eyelashes. He narrowed his eyes at the endearment, but with Benicio present, we needed to keep up the pretense of a couple.

Disregarding my comment, Jace just said, "The car's already outside. You and Van should head there first."

"What about Beni?" Van asked, acknowledging the poor administrative assistant.

"He and I need to discuss some things."

Benicio's bobbing throat didn't escape my line of sight.

Physically, Benicio was—to a certain extent—my type. That's why I accepted his advances almost a year and a half ago. And I certainly did like the three times I finished with him, but nothing about his personality got me hot and bothered.

He was a sweet guy with whom I could hold a pleasant conversation.

But that was it... completely and utterly vanilla. I liked things rough... being praised and degraded simultaneously... tied up... spanked...

The works, if you will.

Still, I followed Savannah out of the hotel, only turning back to mouth 'behave' to my fiancé. I was cursing myself for not walking slower when Jace lowered his head to speak to my ex-fling with a dark look in his eyes.

I'd shit my pants if I was on the receiving end of that... Or, maybe I'd be turned on.

Van and I were sitting in the car, making small talk, when the two boys finally joined us. Jace's face, as usual, didn't even hint to any emotion. Beni, on the other hand, was nervously fidgeting and not looking anywhere near my direction.

I shot Jace a 'what did you do?' look, only for him to ignore me. Then, the jackass had the audacity to settle into the car casually, with one hand scrolling on his phone and the other hand resting on my thigh.

I repeat: his hand was on my fucking thigh.

Why me?

Well, probably because you'd stab him with my red-bottoms if he dared to touch another girl... Because of the contract, of course.

Keep telling yourself that.

Shut up, dummy.

Great. Now, I was arguing with myself.

The look on my face must've been really amusing because Van's soft snickering turned into full-blown laughter. Hearing her laughter bubbled small bouts of laughter out of me. I couldn't help it, her laugh was infectious. Benicio also started laughing nervously. Even Jace had a small smile on his face.

Wow.

Something was definitely wrong with me because seeing that somehow made my smile wider.

♕♕♕