xix | unholy matrimony pt. 2

JACE

HOW DOES ONE manage to lose a woman?

Sure, the reception hall was completely packed, but it should be difficult to not notice the only one in all-white. Somehow, we got separated on our way here even though we were in the same fucking building.

We stayed behind for pictures as most of the guests headed to the reception, but the second the photographer clicked the last picture, Kimberly bolted out of there.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a flash of white and headed in that direction. But, my feet stopped after seeing the navy-blue following her to the bridal suite, most likely.

I wanted to go after her for some reason. A small—very, very, small—part of me cared if she was okay, especially after her breakdown at the treatment center. But there was nothing I could do that Vivian couldn't.

That bothered me more than it should've. I should be glad—extremely fucking glad— that we would be able to live our lives separately, but I couldn't muster a single grateful fiber in my body.

"How does it feel to be a married man?" A familiar arm hooked around my shoulders. Emre Osman was my closest friend for as long as I could remember. Even though he was a colossal ass, I loved him like a brother.

"You know it's not..." I trailed off, not wanting to publicly declare our fake relationship.

"You're so fucking lucky it is. When I found out about your engagement, I was this close to getting on a flight to beat you the fuck up for not telling me first," he joked, shoving me to prove a point.

Emre, like me, was also a big guy considering we played football together in high school and college. But he was shorter than me by two inches. Theoretically, considering my six-five height, two inches was nothing, but I liked holding it over him.

"I'd like to see you try, short-ass." I shoved him right back.

"Who the fuck are you calling... who's that?" His eyes trailed to someone at the other side of the room.

I tried looking in that direction, following the path of his eyes, but there were too many people here. "Who?"

Emre was a natural flirt, so I knew he was looking at anyone in attendance. "The one who looks like she'd rather be anywhere but here. She looks so familiar."

It clicked at that moment. I snorted. "That's Addison, Kimberly's cousin. We all went to UPenn together, remember?"

Emre shook his head, a shit-eating grin on his face as he kept his eyes on my wife's cousin. "Huh..."

I turned my head to see Kimberly re-enter the hall. "Kimberly's here."

My eyes locked onto hers as she made her way over to where I was standing with Emre.

She ditched the overskirt, the dress hugging every single one of her curves, especially her ass that my hands were itching to hold onto. She was a vixen in every sense of the word, and she fucking knew it.

She was more calm and at peace compared to how she was at the ceremony, and from the looks of it, it was due to the necklace that made its way back onto her neck.

Sure, I always had a chain around my neck from my mom, but I didn't feel restless without it. I couldn't wrap my head around her attachment to the rather inexpensive jewelry.

But, as she approached us, the fake smile brightened, not at all like how she was not too long ago.

"You must be Emre. I've heard so much about you." She held her hand out for Emre to shake.