13: friends and excuses

Everleigh

I've always wanted to be someone's favorite person

I've always wanted to be someone's favorite person. It seemed so magical in all the movies and books, but in reality, no one wanted me for more than just sex. It was like I was stuck in a generation that believed loyalty was more than the bare minimum and toxicity was the new romance. When did love become too much to ask for?

Maybe I was more heartbroken because of my own expectations. I had fantasized about Sasha for so long and I never anticipated for it to play out the way it did. I thought he would sweep me off my feet like he did all those years ago. I thought I would never have to know what it's like to be alone again. I thought he would be my savior and protecter, but that wasn't the case at all. Instead, he was some disrespectful womanizer who couldn't take no for an answer. He was everything I ran away from in a guy.

I plopped down on my bed with a sigh. I didn't have any class today, and I promised my father I would go visit him. Then, I had work to finish the night off. Work. I immediately wanted to roll my eyes. I already hated work as it was, but Sasha made me hate it even more.

I went to sleep thinking that the whole experience last night was a nightmare, but when I woke up, I knew that wasn't true. Even though I really wished it was. There was still an ache in my heart and a frown on my lips. Not to mention, the dried up tears in my eyes.

"Goodmorning!" Xyah chirped from the outside of my door. "I know you're up! I heard your alarm go off!"

Rolling my eyes, I groaned. Xyah immediately opened my door with a big, knowing smile on her face.

"You dirty, little hoe! I let you slide last night with you not telling me what the fuck that was with Kayo, but uhn-uhn, not anymore. Spill the tea, now!" she exclaimed, jumping on my bed excitedly to sit down.

"It was nothing," I muttered, turning away from her.

"No, stop it! I've never seen you so smitten about a guy before. For a second, I thought you were going to tell me you like girls," Xyah said.

I gave her a deadpanned look.

"You're annoying," I told her.

She shrugged. "Come on, tell me!" she drawled out, grabbing ahold of my shoulders and pulling me back and forth.

"Fine!" I yelled.

A smile came across her face as she finally stopped. I watched her settle back into her seat.

"I met him when I was little. He was my first ever crush, kiss, everything. I really liked him but then I moved away and never saw him again. Until, last night," I explained.

She pouted her lips. "Aw, that is so fucking cute! No wonder why he couldn't take his eyes and hands off you! Y'all still wanna fuck with each other! It's like... fate."