Reality Sets In

The next day I walk out of the hotel, in the same clothes because that was all I had with me, and I sure was sticking out like a sore thumb.

The actor said he would meet me outside the hotel at 10:30. I couldn't get him to stop insisting on the favor. The man does not take 'no' for a answer.

It didn't take a lot to know when the Elvis actor was here, as a crowd of girls followed him in his pink Cadillac.

He stepped out of the pink vehicle, but his eyes weren't focused on the crowd, but straight forward in my direction. He had a big goofy smile as he waved at me, causing me to laugh at the man.

"Good morning." He says.

"Morning? It's almost afternoon." I point out. Austin runs his hands through his hair.

"Well I guess you're right." He chuckled awkwardly, " I just have trouble sleepin' is all. So this is early for me." He admitted.

I figure so after watching most of the film.

"It's fine, don't worry about it." I say, dismissing the whole subject. It's a major problem in the film, but not mine to deal with.

His smile returns.

"Well then, let's get goin'." He says as he opens the car door for me to get into the passenger's side. When i get in he closes the door and makes it into his side quickly to avoid the crowd clinging to him, before driving off.

To my shock some women clinged onto the car even as it started driving, but eventually let go and the screams of fangirling settled down as the car made some distance.

"I'm sorry about the scene back there, dear. Those girls are just a little excited, I haven't been back home in a while." He said.

"I have a feeling that it's like that all the time for you." I say nonchalant. He looks over at me and smirks.

"So, to be clear." He starts but it sounds more like 'cl-air'. "How much do you know about me?" He asks. My eyes widen in worry.

"Uh not much. I've seen your movie." I say, nervously wondering if he'll break character.I'm still struggling to believe I'm in a movie set. His eyes brighten at my words.

"Really now? Which one?" He asks curious of my answer. What does he mean which one? The one that launched him into stardom. 

"The Elvis movie." I say, daring not to look at him.

"And which one is that?" He asks, I think he thinks that I don't watch any of his movies. He not wrong, but he's also not breaking character. I guess I expected that.

"Your recent film," I say then wanting to switch the subject I continue, "You said you just got arrived back to memphis?" I ask. He knows that I switched the subject, but he doesn't seem to mind.

"Yes, ma'am. I've been o'er in California working on some films. I wanted to come back to enjoy some time off before start'n the next film. It's good to be back home for a while." He says. I honestly didn't know Elvis was an actor before watching the film.

"You can say that again. I can't wait until I get back home." I sigh out, and at this the conversation goes quiet. When we get to the car services, I hop out of the car before he can go open it for me. Force of habit from being a modern day girl I guess.

When we get there I learned that someone reported my car and it was already towed. I paid the services, taking out my keys and making my way to my car as the actor followed.

There it was- my 2019 white mercedez benz.

"That sure is an interestin' car you have there. I've never seen anythin' like it before." He said looking at my car in awe.

"I had it custom made." I lied. He looks at my car and put his hands on his hips, impressed.

"Ain't that somethin'. " He whistles.

"Thank you." I say wanting to change the topic and making this short, "For helping me out." I finish. His smile drops as he notices the finality in my words.

"I guess that this is goodbye then." He asks but he knows the answer and I just nod my head.

"Well then it was nice meetin' ya, darlin. Maybe we could keep in touch. The next time in New York we could meet up. Just ask for me and tell my men your name." He says as he gives me a hug. I nearly stand rigid as hugging a random stranger is so foreign to me now after the pandemic, but I don't want to come off rude so I awkwardly hug him back. 

"I would like that." I say, knowing that would never happen. He eventually ends the embrace and I get into my car as he waves at me. I start up the car and quickly put in my address in New York on my gps. The only problem was that my gps wasn't working, I kept refreshing, as the actor stood a few feet away watching. The gps keeps saying that my address doesn't exist.

I never wanted to admit it, but I knew it  was the truth and that my denial of my surroundings had been shattered as random background music that came out of nowhere but was everywhere began to play. I frantically looked around at the buildings with more attention  and realized they were real as they went on for miles. It wasn't a set. The reality of my situation hit like cold water.

I really was in a movie. Meaning I can't just drive back to New York, It wouldn't be my New York. My apartment wouldn't exist, and my family wouldn't exists and even then I was nearly sixty years in the past. Why am I even here?

I'm stuck here. I bit my lip as it trembled and tears began to flood my eyes. Austin seemed to notice as he went to my side of the car, opening the door.

"Hey, Hey. are you alright? What's matter?" He asked concern. I turn to him whipping my tears.

"Tell me that all of this isn't real?" I say hoping that he would break character and admit that this is all just a skit and everyone was acting. That it really wasn't 1966, and I was really on a movie set in my own time.

"I wish I could, but I don't know what you're talkin' about." He says looking confused at what I asked of him.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"I can't go home." I sob. He looks confused at the sudden change in statements.

"Why not?" He asks.

"I just can't." I sigh out, knowing I can't tell him the truth.

"I can't go back home and I'm lost." I cry lowly in defeat as a solemn look fall upon his features. 

"Don't worry. Everythins' gonna be alright. I promise" He says hugging me in comfort.