Chapter Seven - Organizational Friends

The trip home whipped by me. I didn't see anything. I was too busy making up scenarios with my mother playing a huge role.

"You wanted me to fail!" I would spit at her.

or

"You were just waiting for me to make a mistake."

Or

"Why did you doubt me?"

It didn't matter what words I said to the mother in my head though. I had known for a long time that she didn't think I was as capable as Crinae or as smart as Elody. What am I good for then?

As the SUV turns to climb the hill home, my heart starts running laps in my chest. I'd love to be able to burrow into my soft and fluffy down comforter on my bed and sleep the rest of the day away but I know I'll have to atone for my bad behaviour somehow. I wonder if an oubliette is in my future. I don't want to face the darkness or Mom or Sebastian yet.

"Driver," I say. "Please take me to the Org Village."

The driver nods and makes a U-turn on the wide boulevard. There's no other traffic except a Moto passing by on a motorcycle. A few years ago, I'd quiver in fear at the rumbling vehicle shooting past me. Not today. Today, I'm more afraid of my flesh and blood. My mother.

This side trip will give me a chance to see Hyla and Chuck. I haven't seen them in a while. It'll give me a chance to fill them in on the strange encounter with Trunken plus escape Mom's wrath for a little while longer.

The lush green grass, brightly hued flowers and pink blossoms clustered on the branches of trees that flank the streets soon give way to a much less gentile scene. Brown dirt patches and castoff clothing are strewn all over. But there is some colour in the landscape.

"What are those flowers called?" I ask the driver, pointing out the window at the splashes of red popping up everywhere.

"That's garbage, Miss. Red plastic cups."

"Oh!"

"Which department?" asks the driver.

"Sanitation, please. Block 77-0."

The driver deftly turns the large vehicle onto a narrow street. The walls of the apartments are so close to the vehicle that one piece of paper would have trouble fitting. A pedestrian walking towards us pounds on a door to be let in. He fades into the gloom just as we pass.

A few more metres and we arrive at an intersection.

"This is where you get out," says the driver. "Will you be needing assistance to the building?"

"Nope," I say, hopping out.

"I'll wait here."

"You can go. I'll call when I'm ready."

"I'll wait."

I shut the door with a bang. I wish he would leave me here. I bet Mom told him to watch my every move.

It's dark in this warren of streets and lumps of short, squat houses. I look up at the sky and see the blue is covered with grey. It's going to rain at some point.

My knocks echo around me as I rap quickly on Hyla and Chuck's steel door. I give them several seconds to respond.

Nothing.

I hit the door louder this time. Again, the noise reverberates and I cover my ears.

Maybe Hyla and Chuck are at work? I didn't think about that. I'll knock one more time just in case they didn't hear me.