Chapter 9

Hannah

I sat in my last class of the day, listening to the daily announcements. They were boring, but important, so I had to pay attention.

"Students, don't forget that tomorrow night is Senior Night. All students are required to attend with a parent or you will not graduate," Principle Weatherby said, making my blood run cold. I'd forgotten all about the Senior Night.

"That is all for the daily announcements," our Principle said and the bell rang, signaling the end of the day.

"I can't believe this," I muttered to myself. I thought I'd been quiet, but apparently not because Bradley heard.

"I know. My dad came into town for it."

"He doesn't live with you?" I asked, confused. How did he get lucky like that?

"He jumps around too much for work and since I'm eighteen now, I don't have to go with him."

I nodded and gathered my things. I'd already delayed my walk home long enough. If I was any later, my dad might kill me. And I still had to tell him about Senior Night.

Bradley walked with me to the front of the school where we went our separate ways. Bradley kept offering me rides home, but I kept declining. Dad wasn't happy the last time he saw Bradley and I didn't want to make him angry.

So, I put in my earbuds and started walking home. I found the fresh air to be calming and it made the walk that much more bearable for me. Most kids would hate to have to walk to school, but I loved it. It was my little bit of peace and quiet.

Too soon, my house came into view and in the driveway sat two cop cars.

So Dad's old work friends were over. That would make my task that much harder.

I walked through the door and into the living room where my Dad sat, drinking beers with his friends.

"What?" He barked when he saw me.

"I j-just came to t-tell you that it's Senior N-night tomorrow at school and if a parent doesn't come, I don't g-graduate," I said softly, avoiding eye contact.

"AND YOU'RE TELLING ME THIS NOW?!?!" Dad shouted.

I flinched. "I'm sorry, I forgot."

My dad groaned and chugged the rest of the beer. He pointed at me with the empty bottle. "Fine, I'll go. But only because I want your sorry ass out of here at the end of the year."

I nodded my head and thanked him before rushing out and going up to my room. That went much better than expected.

Now I just had to hope the same could be said for Senior Night.

I sat in the front of my dad's car as he drove to my school. He managed to play the part, dressing up nice and acting like a normal dad.

I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck. The closer we got to the school, the faster my heart beat. There were so many things that could go wrong. So many things that could lead to trouble.

I knew Dad would play his part; he couldn't risk anyone at the school finding out what he was really like. The police department may have sided with him, but child protective services wouldn't.

Dad pulled into a parking spot and turned off the car. I was just about to get out of the car when Dad grabbed my arm harshly.

"Don't even think about trying anything," he hissed.

"I won't," I whispered.

Dad let go of my arm and I got out of the car. We walked into the school, looking every bit the normal family. It reminded me of my teacher conferences in elementary and middle school. Mom and Dad would walk in, each holding one of my hands as I guided them to my classes. They always beamed with such pride when my teachers told them how good I was doing. I knew not to expect that tonight.

I led Dad to the gym where Senior Night was set up. There were different booths stationed all around the room and we started going around to them. They were about this year and college and all that.

"Hannah!" Someone called out. I tensed and Dad looked down to me, his jaw clenched. I didn't look back at him as I turned around.

"Hi Bradley," I said sheepishly. He stood in front of me with an older man that I recognized as his dad. "Hi Mr. Brooks."

"Hello Hannah, hello Dave. It's been too long," Mr. Brooks said.

"That it has," my Dad said, shaking Mr. Brooks's hand. The two of them talked and I shrunk back a bit. Bradley seemed to notice and came up to me.

"What's going on with you?" He asked me.

"What do you mean?" I asked nervously.

"You're acting weird."

"No I'm not," I said to him before turning to my dad. I would pay for this later, but I interrupted his conversation. "We should go around to the rest of the booths."

Dad nodded. "We should. It was good to see you Brandon."

The two men shook hands and my dad placed his hand firmly on my lower back as he led me away. To anyone else it might look innocent. To me, it was a warning and a promise.

We walked around the room and multiple teachers stopped to tell my dad what an amazing student I was. His acting was incredibly convincing; even I almost believed he was a loving, supportive father.

We were nearing the last booth when one last teacher approached. "Hannah, it's so good to see you. Is this your dad?"

Ms. Topaz was wearing a brightly colored dress with a matching headband. I didn't know she'd be here tonight.

"It is," I told her. "Dad, this is Ms. Topaz, my art teacher."

Dad shook Ms. T's hand and introduced himself.

"Your daughter is one of my favorite students," Ms. T said. "She's got some real talent. I've loved having her in my class these past years. I'm going to miss her when she goes off to college."

"You and me both," Dad said with a light chuckle. He talked more with Ms. T. He was acting like he cared, but each minute, his jaw grew a bit more tense.

Ms. Topaz finally left and me and Dad went to the last booth. We barely looked at the information before Dad had gripped my arm tightly and was dragging me out to the car.

I sat in silence as he drove home. He was clearly angry. His knuckles were white, he was holding onto the steering wheel so hard.

I was practically trembling in fear by the time we pulled into the driveway.

Dad dragged me into the house and threw me to the floor.

"Do you think I'm a fool?!?!" He shouted.

I shook my head and blinked back the tears that filled my eyes.

"WORDS!"

Dad's foot collided with my ribs.

"No Sir."

"YOU MUST IF YOU PARADED AROUND IN THERE ACTING LIKE RUN THE SHOW!" Dad screamed. "IT WAS FUCKING HUMILIATING!"

"I'm sorry," I whimpered.

Dad didn't accept my apology as he picked me up by my hair and punched me in the face with enough force, I thought my hair was going to rip out of my head.

I whimpered as Dad's fist struck again and my nose cracked, blood rushing out of it. Dad laughed like a sick man and threw me to the floor. He pulled his belt off and turned me over, pulling my shirt up to expose my back.

Crack!

Tears sprung from my eyes as the belt lashed my skin.

Crack!

Crack!

Crack!

My breathing became more labored with each lash from the belt and my vision grew spotty, but Dad kept going.

Crack!

Crack!

Crack!

I don't know how many lashes he gave me before I finally passed out.