Chapter 13

Hannah

Bradley was there when I woke up, just like he promised. He was seated in a chair next to the bed with his head propped onto his hand. His dark hair was tousled and it made me smile lightly.

Bradley must have sensed that I was awake, because his eyes opened and he smiled at me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked me. His voice was rough since he just woke up. I liked it.

I took a moment to analyze my body. Everything hurt, but it wasn't anything I hadn't felt before.

"Fine," I told Bradley. He immediately frowned. "You're lying."

I looked away, ashamed. I just didn't want to worry him and it really wasn't that bad, I'd be fine.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"It's ok," Bradley sighed. "How are you really feeling?"

I shrugged my shoulders and immediately regretted the action with the pain it brought. I looked down and saw stitches where my dad stabbed me.

"Everything hurts."

"I'm sorry," Bradley told me, pity lacing his voice.

I shrugged my shoulders even though I knew it would hurt like hell. I didn't know what to say and that was all I knew to do.

There was a knock on the door and two policemen walked in. Two very familiar policemen.

I paled when I saw them.

"Hello, I'm Officer Smith and this is Officer Anderson."

Bradley shook their hands and they sat in two seats on the other side of the bed. Subconsciously, I scooted closer to Bradley.

"Don't worry, they'll help," he told me. If only he knew.

My dad's friends spent the better part of an hour questioning me, pretending like they were really going to help and not throw the reports in the trash.

I told them about all that's happened since Mom died, even though they already knew, and then they moved onto Bradley. They asked him all about what happened the other night and he could barely contain his anger as he told them.

It should have scared me, but instead it brought a strange warmth to my chest.

"Well, that should be enough to get an investigation started," Officer Smith said. "Thank you for your cooperation. We'll see you soon."

Officer Smith sent me a knowing look and a creepy smile as he walked out the door. It sent chills down my spine.

"Are you cold?" Bradley asked.

I shook my head, too scared to use my voice.

I know I should tell Bradley about my dad's friends, but I'm just too scared.

Bradley furrowed his brows and left the room. When he came back, he had a blanket with him. I assumed it was for him, but instead, he came over and draped it over me, tucking me in so I was nice and warm.

"Thanks," I murmured, snuggling into the warmth of the blanket.

"No problem," Bradley said. "I'm going to go get some food for you. I'll be right back."

I nodded and watched Bradley leave. I was practically counting the minutes until he came back. I was acting so silly.

But something about Bradley made me feel warm. And safe.

So different from the boy I knew four years ago.

When Bradley came back, he was holding a tray piled high with food. My eyes widened when he set it down in front of me.

"There's so much food," I noted.

Bradley looked at me and then at the tray. He had a weird look on his face.

"How much do you usually eat?" He asked.

"Umm, I eat an apple for breakfast usually and I eat leftovers from Dad's dinner most of the time."

Bradley was shaking with rage. I watched as he took deep breaths, schooling his emotions.

"Just eat as much as you want," he told me.

I looked at the tray in front of me. There was soup, crackers, salad, and a slice of cake.

I went for the cake first. Chocolate was my favorite.

I took a few bites of the cake and then decided I should eat something healthy. I knew my stomach wouldn't be able to handle all of this and I wanted to get some nutrients.

I spooned up some soup and blew on it lightly before bringing it to my mouth. It was so good. I ate a little more soup and had two bites of salad before I was full.

I pushed the tray away from me a little and Bradley frowned.

"You're done?"

I nodded skeptically. Maybe I could eat a little more. I was about to reach for the spoon again and try to eat some more to make Bradley happy, but he interrupted me.

"Ok," he said and took the tray from me. "Chocolate cake's my favorite anyways."

Bradley gave me a charming smile and ate a bite of cake. He moaned dramatically when the cake touched his tongue.

I giggled and Bradley's eyes snapped to mine. "You have a nice laugh."

I blushed and hid my face behind a curtain of hair. "Thanks," I mumbled.

Bradley laughed at my embarrassment and kept eating the cake. Eventually, my face cooled down, and I lifted my head back up to look at him.

"Oh look, she's back," he said jokingly and my face heated again.

I went to hide my face again, but Bradley gently gripped my chin to stop me.

"Don't hide," he said. "You're so cute when you blush."

That only made me blush more and Bradley chuckled again. He released my chin and sat back down in his chair.

"How long do I have to stay here?" I asked.

"As long as everything looks ok, the doctor said you can leave tomorrow."

I smiled and my eyes started to droop. The pain meds were making me so tired.

I tried to fight it and stayed awake, but I was too tired.

"It's ok," Bradley told me. "Get some sleep."

I nodded and rested my head back on the pillow. I was asleep less than a minute later.