Fifty-two

Zhan's Pov.

The next morning I found myself being woken up by sounds coming from nearby. Adjusting my eyes I spotted Yibo sitting in the armchair next to the couch, watching me like I was the most fascinating thing in the world as he waited patiently..?

"You really are excited aren't you?" I asked him with a chuckle. He nodded continuously in response. I couldn't be upset with him for waking me up, he looked like the most huggable thing in the world. His tinted rosy cheeks, his bright stare, he sat legs crossed in the chair.

"Since we're both awake I suppose we can head out early?" I proposed, and from the innocent smile that grew on his face, I'm sure that's exactly what he was hoping for. "I have to get ready first though, I'm not going out in just my sweatpants." I told him as I lifted myself from the couch.

After using the bathroom I got dressed and
quickly brushed my hair. Today was the day...... I'm going to do it. Mom was in the kitchen preparing breakfast. She came out and offered to make us something for our day out but I figured we'd just eat something while we were there.

"That's alright, we'll probably just pick up
something while we are out." I told her. She looked a little disappointed, but to be honest, this was more convenient for everyone. Though knowing her she probably just wants to cook us something.

"Well if you're sure then..." She said, raising her brows.

"I'm sure." I said, smiling at her.

"Alright, well I guess I'll be in the kitchen finishing up breakfast for the other two then." She said, walking off.

"You ready?" I asked, snapping his attention away from my mom.

"Yeah!" He beamed.

"Let's head out then." I said, grabbing my keys. We said our byes to my mom and dad before walking out the door. Xichen was nowhere to be seen so I assumed he was still asleep. That's probably for the best though. I can just imagine him trying to weasel his way onto our day-... date out. Just as I got to the car I noticed Yibo in awe as he made his way over in a daze. He seemed to be taking in the morning air. I hadn't even noticed it until I saw him inhaling.

"The air is much nicer here than back home." He pointed out.

"Like it?" I asked with a small laugh.

"Love it." He responded with a smile.

After settling into the car I started the engine and pulled out of the driveway. The rising sun cast soft shadows over most of the neighborhood as it rose from behind the mountains.

"The zoo won't be open for another couple of hours, so we have some time to kill." I told him. I knew this beforehand, I just wanted to spend more time with him.

"Have any suggestions?" I asked.

"No, anything's fine with me." He replied
happily.

"Uh.." I paused, thinking where the best place to go would be. "Wanna go to the arcade or something?" I asked, glancing at him. I could see his facial expression shift. His smile faltered.

"Or not." I quickly added, hoping I didn't upset him. I wondered why he was suddenly looking uneasy though.

"N-no no, it's fine. I was just remembering how..... Cindy.. would take me there whenever we hung out. I remember feeling like my life was finally turning around, that I finally had someone I could relate to so closely, it was amazing. That was one of the happiest moments of my life. Then she made it clear that was all an act... t-that she wanted nothing to do with me." He explained with his small voice cracking.