Dream Come True

Being an intergalactic traveler was the most exciting thing ever for young Balder, who was sick and tired of being seen by everyone as the Little Prince, always perfectly protected by his powerful father. He wanted to be more than that. He wanted to be a famous explorer, the most feared pirate, anything but what he was.

"Are you daydreaming about being an intergalactic traveler again?" Rosemond said with a gentle smile on her face.

A smile that felt incredibly patronizing to Balder because he knew that even though she was his best friend, his constant companion, she never believed in him. She never thought he could do it.

He was determined to prove her wrong, to prove everyone wrong.

"And what if I am?" Balder snapped more harshly than he intended. "Can't I be what I have always dreamed of being?"

"I didn't mean to..." Rosemond started to say but was interrupted by another one of Balder's passionate speeches.

"Can't you people understand that the world is like a magical theater where fairytales and realities intertwine to create something so beautiful that it defies definition?" Balder said reproachingly as his eyes looked at the stars through the glass dome, that he insisted on having in his room. "All of you are so ignorant, cooped up in your own little worlds and not caring about anyone or anything else."

Rosemond took a step back upon hearing that. She wasn't the most sensitive princess, which happens when one grows up in that environment where everything is instantly provided for you without you having to do anything. However, Rosemond always tried to be nice to Balder, the prince of the neighboring planet. Had she failed him so miserably?

A tear slid down her cheek before she could stop it. That little traitor dared reflect the pain on the inside, making Rosemond furious at herself.

"Rose, I am sorry. I didn't mean that," Balder said, immediately backtracking upon noticing his words had caused so much pain to his friend. "It's just that you have never shown any interest in the outside world, and you can't possibly understand how it feels when you want to see so much more and are eternally trapped on this one boring planet. There is nothing here to keep my attention, nothing to explore, nothing to do."

"You know that I am sensitive, that the air in any other planetary system would irrevocably damage my lungs. Even if I wanted to travel with you, to explore the new worlds, I can't," Rose said with sadness in her voice that Balder heard for the first time. "And I never thought this planet was boring because I had you with me, and that was more than enough for me."

"Rose..." Balder started to say, but she spun around and ran from the room, not wanting him to see her cry.

His Rose was always too sensitive, too delicate, both physically and emotionally, which was one of the reasons he always treated her with care. It was why he pampered her more than anyone else. However, this time, Balder wanted to be selfish. This time, he wanted to indulge himself, and her narrow-minded thinking was clashing with his daydreams.

Still, he didn't want to make her cry. That was never his intention. Yet, he couldn't think of anything he could say that would make it any better for her.

Although both were royalty from the two planets circling the twin stars, they were very different. He wasn't even sure if they would have been friends if it weren't for their close proximity and the fact that none of the other monarchies in their planetary system had any royals their age.

"I have to see what's out there," Balder said out loud, more determined than ever.

Knowing his parents would never allow it, Balder snuck through the window, climbing down the building's complex structure with the ease of someone who had done so many times before. However, this time, Balder wasn't going out to have fun. He was determined to fulfill his lifelong dream. Thus, he headed for the spaceport, his holographic identification at the ready because no matter what, no one could refuse royalty if they wanted to confiscate their spaceship.