YOURS TRULY, DANIELLA

Dear Mona,

I know you told me to stop thanking you, so I'll write it down here. My "thank you" will be inscribed on paper forever for only your eyes to see.

Now in a way my "thank you" has immortality.

I know that sounds dramatic, period, but maybe I am dramatic. Maybe I've never really gotten to know myself because I've spent so much time alone and the only person I have to compare myself to is myself. So, I can't see the differences I have against other people because I don't talk to them. Well, because I didn't talk to them.

It's crazy to think that having one presentation partner in a class I originally hated meant so much to me. It wasn't necessary for you to be nice. You didn't have to ask me questions about myself. You didn't have to watch the 2020 Emma movie just because I said I loved it. You didn't have to go out of your way to bring me goldfish and cosmic brownies while we worked on our presentation just because I said I liked them. You didn't have to listen to me. You didn't need to know me at all. To get to know me, you didn't have to experience my life at all. And you didn't have to keep talking to me after the presentation was over.

I haven't made a friend in a very long time.

Everybody's high school experience sucks, and again I'm dramatic for saying it, but I'm pretty sure mine's the worst. I had a traumatic freshman year and I've been angry ever since. Being angry for three years can make someone exhausted. This is a bit rambley, but I guess I'm saying you've woken me up. And the only thing I can think to do to repay you is to take you to the dance. If you'll let me take you to the dance, I promise to make it the most special night in your high school career. I know how much you love cliches and I will do every little cliché thing for you that night. We can wear matching dresses, corsages, and maybe even arrive in style with a limo if I can convince my mother I haven't totally lost it. I just wanna give you an ounce of the happiness you've given to me.

Yours truly,

Daniella

P.S. If this is lame, please burn this letter and we never have to talk about it.