A Missing Knife

Endris threw the door to the mansion open and ran inside. I went after him, despite it seeming like an awful idea to enter a burning building. The kitchen was empty but there was already a thin layer of smoke floating in the room. Whatever Endris wanted to do, it would have to be fast.

"Valda! Conrad!" I called out as we hurried through the kitchen and into the hall. "Gisela!"

I didn't receive a response. Endris' fingers dug into my arm as he dragged me along. The smoke grew thicker the closer we came to the stairs, and my eyes stung. In the lobby, the flames had spread to the carpet. I felt the blistering heat on my skin.

"Up!" Endris bellowed. "Wait on the balcony!"

Endris let go of my arm and turned to the living quarters. "What are you going to do?" I asked.

"I will set the trap."

I wanted to ask what trap, but Endris ran like the wind and vanished into the living quarters before I could utter a single world. For a moment, I hesitated. If the fire spread, I'd be trapped inside. Burning alive wasn't appealing, but neither was yielding to Ytel's men. 

Endris better have a good plan.

Cursing under my breath, I ran up the stairs two steps at a time. On the second floor I called out for my family again with no response, and then I dashed on to the third floor. There was a balcony in the master bedroom. My parents' bedroom. It looked out over the road leading to our mansion, the nearby woods, and beyond that, the town. I assumed that was the place Endris meant for me to go. 

I burst through the door, hoping to find my parents holed up in their chambers, but it was empty. The bed was unmade and my father's cane was gone, however, indicating they had left in a hurry. Swiftly crossing the room, I stepped outside onto the balcony. Above me, I saw muddled pinpricks of light in a dark sky. Below me, figures with weapons moved in the smoke. It wasn't safe for them to stay in there much longer. The smoke and serpentine powder burned in my lungs with every breath, and I wasn't even in the thick of it.

I had done as Endris said, but after a few moments of waiting, doubt gnawed at the back of my mind. I couldn't just sit here forever. What was he planning on doing? I paced, and another few moments later, I grew impatient and wanted to go outside to find Endris. That was when someone stumbled onto the balcony behind me.

Valda's hair was tangled, and black smears were smudged all over her face and ripped dress. Her eyes filled with tears when she saw me, and she let out a strangled sob as she pulled me into an embrace.

"Laurence," she cried out, "I thought you had left. How are you here?"

"Don't worry about that right now," I replied, squeezing my sister tightly. "Are you alright? Where are the others?"

"I don't know. I only found Endris, and he told me to find you on the balcony." Valda sniffled. "And he told me to tell you that you need to aim for the woods."

"Aim for the woods?" I repeated. I stared into the distance at the black silhouettes of the trees. "With my thunder? Why would I do that?"

"I don't know. Wait for the horn and aim for the woods. That's all he said."

I shook my head in confusion. "I have no idea what Endris wants, but we can't stay here much longer. The mansion is burning. We need to get out."

"No, wait, look," Valda said, pointing at the ground below.

I squinted, and then I saw what she meant. A lone figure on horseback moved towards the woods. It was a mere shadow crossing the landscape—if you didn't look carefully, you'd miss it. Then the deep sound of a horn echoed across the cliffs.