4

I landed in at the airport and gave my mom a call. She really likes to know I'm safe, even though I am a grown adult. But I guess being a mom is a job you never retire from.

"Hey, I've landed and now I'm headed to the hotel." I told her as I picked my stuff up from baggage claim.

"Is it hot there? I hope you have fun!"

"Mom, I'm here for work, and of course it's hot. It's New Mexico."

"Now you're even further from your dear old mother."

"Mom, I'll be home in a couple months."

"I have a countdown. And Cate really misses you, she's having a hard time with Alec." Cate was my sister, and Alec was her mediocre husband.

"I have no doubt. I have to go now. I'll talk to you later." I said hanging up and waving a taxi.

The taxi pulled up to the hotel and the driver helped me with my suitcase that seemed heavier than I am. The hotel I was staying in was a regular Marriott and was normal in every way. It was a comfortable and very well priced. The lobby was decorated in a desert vibe, with light colors, cactus and some tribal prints. My room was also decorated that way with cool neutral colors. I unpacked some stuff and sat on my bed guiltily watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I don't know why I watch the show since I can't keep up with them. How can they even keep up with each other?!

After an hour or two of losing brain cells I tried to find some place to eat. I took my hotel key and my purse and headed out. I wondered the streets a little to waste time. While I was well aware that I was in New Mexico for work, it still felt like a vacation, and it was weird not having anyone to share it with. 

I ended up eating at a great Italian restaurant and my mind instantly told me to bring Chris here. The restaurant was a little fancy, because of the white table cloths and the dim lighting, but the food was amazing. As I sat at a table for two and the empty seat stared back at me, I rolled my eyes. I guess today was just one of those days. Loneliness certainly isn't a new feeling to me, but this type felt more like home sickness. I just wanted someone who I knew, or something that reminded me of home.

I finished up with dinner and strolled back to the hotel. When I got up to my room I took a shower to wash off the dirt from the airport and checked my phone. It was only eight there, but in Boston it was eleven. I could text Crystal and see what she was up to. I could give Whitney a call. I instead stared at the text messages I've sent to Chris and I hesitated to text him. What, we are friends, why would I hesitate? What would I even say? I could go with my normal "hey". He was probably sleeping it was coming on to 11:30 at home. I huffed and placed my phone on the charger and left it alone. I tried to sleep but my brain was running.

The next morning I woke up feeling like I had gotten no sleep at all. I was so tired. It was unbelievable. I almost wanted to call off work, but I got up and got ready. I took another shower and this one was longer than it should have been. I took my stuff and headed out to the set. I looked around my purse for some car keys to my rental car before I realized, I had forgotten to rent a car. I sigh annoyed with myself and called for a taxi. This was going to be an expensive ride. When we pulled up to the set I took a deep breath, pulled myself together and walked out of the taxi like I owned the place.

"Miss! Miss! You forgot to pay!" The taxi man yelled desperately and I stopped in my tacks and ran back to the taxi.

"I am so sorry, here you go. The change is for you, thank you." I told him giving him a big tip.

"Have a nice day miss." Too late for that.

"Thank you." I said waving and then I pulled myself together and walked in like I co-own the place.

I walked past a couple rooms and finally reached my spot on set. My crew was already there and they were enjoying some coffee and each others company.

"Hey, guys! Ready to get this done?" They nodded and I heard a few mumbles of yes. I pulled out the plans for the set and we broke up into groups. They know the drill, by now.

"Hey Lucy" A voice I know to well greeted. I turned around and forced a fake smile to greet the man.

"Hey Mark, I haven't seen you in forever!" I mentioned faking some excitement. Mark had stuck with my company for as long as we've been open. He was one of the first people I hired, and one of the first I wish I hadn't. He screamed douche-bag with his greasy hair and smile. He was the self proclaimed deputy manager. There wasn't even such a thing as a deputy manager in the company. I let him call himself anything he wanted as long as he stayed out of my way. Lately he had been quite the case.

"Yeah, you've sent me all over the country. Can't seem to give me a break. It's like I'm doing all the work." He was a terrible actor, I could see straight through his smile. He wanted to challenge me and I don't like to be challenged.

"Sounds rough." I mumbled obviously not caring.

"Yeah it is rough, and I would appreciate if you didn't. Maybe you shouldn't-"

"Don't talk to me that way, and until I see your resignation form, you go where ever I want you to go. End of story. I told you this is what the job entails, you get a break months at a time. I don't want to hear it. " I warned allowing Mark to stalk off. I took a deep breath in and turned my attention to something else more important than an immature man. I called for a rental car to be driven up here before I left. I helped out with some construction and directed some processes.

"I really just saw this as-" I started to explain to one of the painters before I was interrupted. 

"Ms. Jones you have a call."

"Oh okay. Stacy I'll be right back." I wondered to the phone we had set up in a room. I wondered why this person just didn't call me on my cell phone.

"Hello?" I hesitated said and I uncomfortably folded my arm in front of my chest.

"Hey Lucy"

"Chris? What?"

"I got the number from Whitney, who was overly excited. You weren't picking up your phone, so I called this one." I took my phone out from my back pocket and noticed a couple calls from Chris, and a whole lot from Whitney. I was curious as to hear why Chris wanted to get a hold of me so badly.

"I am so sorry. I was busy with work and I have a story for you. But I'll tell it to you later when I'm not working–"He laughed before he starts talking again.

"Who are you talking to." Mark said and I swear he pops up and follows me around. He interrupted my conversation and I could hear Chris ask who he was, of course politely.

"My friend and if you would excuse-" I told Mark

"My friend my ass, it's unprofessional of take personal calls Lucy. Jesus I didn't know I was working for some–" He challenged smirking a smirk I was three seconds away from wipping off. What is with interrupting me today?

"Finish that sentence and you're fired. Actually no. You are. Get out of my face and don't you dare talk to me like that ever again. Once I'm done with this call, we're having a conversation I promise you won't like." Mark slipped away not even caring how rude he was.

"I'm so sorry you heard that Chris! I have to go. When are you coming again?"

"In a week. Who was that guy again? I can't believe he talked to you like that!" Chris said obviously upset.

"Trust me it'll be the last words he says to me. I can't wait till you're here, it'll be good to take a break. I'll see you soon but I've really got to go."

"Bye Lucy"

"Bye Chris." I said hanging up. I took a moment to pull myself together then walked out of the room looking like I'm ready to kill someone.