I need to become stronger.

My attention switches from the white of the hospital room to the flash of purples in front of me as my mom leaps across the bed to hug me tightly. Her warmth is the first I've truly felt in what seems like forever, even though I just barely remember going outside and meeting Rantaro not too long ago.

Mom pulls away suddenly. "You seem concerned. You remembered what happened before you ended up here, didn't you?"

"H-how did you know?!" I ask by reflex, not prepared for the small details no normal person would notice.

"Your breathing pattern changed and you bore a confused expression on your face. With that information, I concluded that you were pondering about previous events; likely what happened before you lost consciousness." she explains. "Now answer my question."

I shift in my spot before speaking. "I did remember... vaguely. How long has it been?"

"It's been two days since we found your note, and we got a call from the nice green-haired boy about three hours after that. So you've been back in the hospital for two days, too. And if you're wondering about how long you were admitted before that..."

"That's okay, Mom... I don't think I want to know." I admit.

My mom lets out a sigh. "Alright... but I hope you know how disappointed we are in you. We were worried sick, and what you did risked your health! Not to mention how something awful could've happened with you and your classmate... what were you thinking?!"

I stayed silent, unable to find a reasonable response.

"Shuichi."

"I-I'm sorry... really sorry... I don't know what came over me..." I manage, tearing up. I don't handle scoldings well...

"...Well, I'm fine as long as you're okay." Mom adds. "I think it was very brave of you to go out looking for information in the face of danger. It's what good detectives do. And from what I've heard, you found such a crucial piece of evidence!"

I let myself smile at her praise. "Thank you... and I'll be more careful next time and ask for permission to leave first."

"That's great. You're still young, you know. I want to make sure you're safe until you're old enough to take care of yourself."

"I am old enough to take care of myself!" I protest playfully. "But I appreciate the worry."

Mom laughs with me for a while. I'm so happy to have a role model like her in my life. I don't deserve her.

My mom soon leaves to tell the nurses that I'm awake. When she returns, five people are with her. Three nurses, Dad, and...

"K-Kokichi...?" I stutter. "What are you..."

"Aww, don't worry about all that!" the purple-haired smiles. He glances around before leaning in and whispering to me, "But maybe I had to pull a few strings to get here... or not!! Is it a lie~?"

"I don't have time for your lies," I say as I turn away, blushing. He's so close to me...

"Haha!! Don't get mad, Shumai!" Kokichi giggles. "Especially after I came all this way to see you! You must really hate me... how cruel is that?!" He quickly begins to tear up, which grabs the attention of the nurses in the room.