THIRTY-TWO

- CHAPTER 32 -

❝I'm sure they're alright

I'm sure they're alright.

The Potter Manor.

BEFORE THE STUDENTS HAD KNOWN it, NEWTs season had passed by in a blur. A bittersweet feeling washing over them, the sadness of leaving Hogwarts overlooking it all.

A place they had once considered as home, was a place that they would not come back to anymore. The Marauders were one of the few people, who had taken it much more seriously than the others.

The boys who had made the environment of Hogwarts lively, and the years spent at the school incredibly fun. The rest of the students and teachers would surely miss them, the hallways feeing empty without their presence.

"This doesn't feel real," said Sirius Black.

"Feels like we're coming back soon, doesn't it?" replied Remus Lupin.

The friends were sat near the Black Lake, a famous spot for the kids to hang out around. A place known for its comforting feeling, and a place where they would often meet up in between classes.

"Promise me that we will meet here again, in the next few years?"

"Yeah yeah, promise."

And when it was the time for them all to leave, the atmosphere around them had gotten a lot colder. The train ride back to King's Cross station, it was the most silent ride they'd ever had.

The thoughts about the war, the feeling that them meeting again was not guaranteed, and the idea that at any time from this point onwards, their lives were not safe, it had all been too much.

The Marauders had been thinking about their future, which could remain as a dream, maybe even a fantasy. They were not protected behind the doors of Hogwarts anymore, it was each of them to themselves.

And that was what made everything feel a lot worse.

"You've all got to stay safe, alright?" said Grace while hugging Lily Evans.

"Don't worry mum. We'll see eachother again," replied Marlene Mckinnon with a smile.

When they had arrived at the Potter Manor, the air surrounding them had been quite solemn. The Potter parents being away for most of the time, out on missions that they hadn't told the kids about.

James Potter had been scared, incredibly so. Not knowing whether his parents were okay or not, it had made the boy's heart beat faster at every passing second, and making him pace around the room without a single break.

"James, i'm sure they're alright."

"I-I don't know. It's almost midnight, and they're not home."

Grace looked at the boy with a frown. The fear that he had on his face, it was something she had never seen before. The last time James had felt that way, it was when Grace had been at the Nott Manor. And now, without his parents by his side, the boy could feel his world crumble apart.

"Prongs, calm down mate. You're worrying us."

Sirius Black had been almost the same as James, but in a more calm and collected way. He had gotten his feelings in control, but his mind was still plagued with the horrible thoughts that had occurred while waiting.

The girl looked at the two boys and sighed. Since she had felt the exact same way as them, she would not know what to do during moments like these. Consoling them had been rather hard, when she could not even console herself.

"Oh my, why are you kids still up?"

"Mum!"

And when the boy was back into the arms of his mother, he had realised how fatal life had actually been. The war was not to be taken lightly, specially for someone with parents who had always fought back.

He had promised himself one thing after that. If he would have to sacrifice his own life for his family, he would do so in a heartbeat. And he would rather die, than to see his family fall apart.

James Potter would do anything to keep his family safe, even if it had meant killing someone with his own bare hands.

"We bought cake, would you all like to have some?"