fifty two.

─☼☼☼─

"𝙋𝙊𝙋𝙀! 𝙋𝙊𝙋𝙀, 𝙒𝘼𝙄𝙏!"

The cars of Rafe, Limbrey, and her team had barely pulled out of sight by the time Pope was emerging from their safe hiding spot behind the bushes. 

The other five teens shared worried expressions before following after him, watching as he came to a stop in front of the coffin that had been dug up, opened, and then cast aside by Limbrey, Renfield, and Rafe. 

Falling to his knees, Pope let out a shaky breath. "Cecelia Tanny." He read in a quiet voice. "Denmark's wife."

Charlotte wrapped her arms around her, eyes falling to the skull and few bones that sat in the coffin. She felt sick to her stomach that they had just dug her up and left her life she was nothing. 

"He wasn't talking about the cross." Pope declared, pushing himself to his feet, eyes locked on the oak tree. "He buried her at the foot of the angel."

Kiara wore a sad smile. "The true treasure."

"His wife." John B whispered. 

A small cry fell from Pope's lips as he lowered himself back down in front of the coffin, the other six quickly following suit. 

"Denmark was hung for burying his wife, and now they defiled her grave." Pope whispered, sadness dripping from his tone as he carefully reached forward and picked up what looked to be a small locket. 

Sarah had done the same, but instead of a locket she held a ring. "This must have been from Denmark." She declared quietly. "Her wedding ring."

While John B and Sarah shared a look of what Charlotte could only describe as longing, Pope spoke again. "We can't leave her like this."

Shaking her head, Charlotte pushed herself to her feet. "We won't."

And they didn't. 

The next fifteen minutes were spent closing up Cecelia's coffin, placing her back at the foot of the angel, and re-covering her coffin with the displaced dirt. 

And then, silently, they all reflected on the magnitude of all of this. What the Tanny family had faced was not a unique story. It was one seen far too often, one that made Charlotte's blood run cold. 

She just hoped wherever they were now, they were finally at peace. 

---

"I just don't get it!" Pope exclaimed as JJ finally finished re-filling Cecelia's grave. "I mean, you guys saw the map. He hides his gold so no one can find it for 170 years. And then he sends a message to his son Robert to come here to his mother's grave, but the message never gets to him. Denamark wanted him to find the cross. I know we're in the right spot."

His sadness had turned to frustration, all of tis clearly beginning to take a toll on his mental wellbeing. 

Pacing back and forth, Pope shook his head. "It just feels like we─"

"Like we missed something?" JJ finished, his eyes locked on something above their heads. There was an excited tilt to his voice as he moved toward the Twinkie, pulling himself onto the roof. "Guys, come here."