Laurie's POV

After years of therapy, a strained relationship with her parents, a failed marriage, and a distant daughter, Laurie Strode found it in herself to go on a vacation from her life.

Her acquaintances from work told her to go up North. To explore the mountainous areas, breathe in fresh air, and find inner peace. It made sense for her to leave the state if not to experience a different atmosphere to distract her from her current life. Anything to soothe her just enough before her intrusive thoughts returned to wreck havoc in her mind.

Intrusive thoughts that imploded her marriage.

The divorce process drained Laurie. Even if she held little affection for her ex, it didn't mean it hurt her any less. Her college friend stayed at her side after the devastation of them losing their soulmates. He mended her broken heart after having lost his soulmate to an incurable illness. Without him, Laurie knew she wouldn't had made it through the trauma without his presence in her life. For that, she was forever grateful.

They shared life changing events that bonded them for life. With their daughter in the middle, they needed to keep a cordial relationship for their only child. She wasn't at fault for their parents lack of love for one another and their second wave of grief for their soulmates.

It wasn't her fault.

Never her fault.

In any case, it was her daughter who gave her the last push to leave her state. She told her how much she hated seeing her parents unhappy, but was relieved when their family time got better after the divorce. There were no cold glances or snappy comments that made their child uncomfortable. They sought to give her a good life without family drama. The variation of her dark past made it impossible for Laurie to be honest with her child.

Maybe, disclosing Michael's existence would had calmed Laurie enough to give her daughter some freedom. Not a lot. Enough for a teenager to go out with her friends and not grow frustrated at her mother's lack of flexibility. But, Laurie knew herself. Even if she warned her daughter about Michael, she would continue on her tendencies.

This was why she needed to get away from her life and rebuild herself together.

Once she settled in her hotel, she changed into a comfier outfit, grabbed her purse, and left to find food. She heard of a good spot in the town and she wanted to enjoy it. Good thing it was near her hotel, she didn't need to wander too far to find it.

Laurie breathed in the fresh air and a sense of tranquility washed over her.

She smiled for the first time in weeks.

Pushing aside her problems, she took her time looking at the different aspects of the town. She observed the little shops, statues, water fountains, and smelled the delicious food. As she got closer to the restaurant, she noticed how everyone laughed without a care in the world. She needed to stay in the presence of such happy people, maybe some of the happiness would transfer onto her.

At some point, Laurie wandered into a different street. It took her ten minutes before she noticed she strayed off the instructions of the receptionist. She sighed. She didn't want mean to lose herself in her thoughts enough to get lost. At least, she could retrace her steps and get back on track.

As she turned around, she paused in her tracks.

Michael was walking in broad daylight.

Unmasked.

Gulping, she pinched her arm and chanted reassurances inside of her head. Her obsession with finding and dealing with Michael ruined her life. Her ex husband grew tired of her tendencies and left her to wallow in her demons. Her daughter voiced her annoyance at her brand of overprotectiveness. Those feelings returned after the divorce was finished and her friendship with her ex husband became stable.