40| Sir

His assertive tone sent shivers down my spine, and not in a good way. He pronounced the words like a Native American with a hint of a Scottish accent.

Just like Finlay.

"P-pleasure is all mine, sir." My voice came out uncertainly.

Why the f**k am I calling him sir?!

Things like this happen when a powerful man is watching you with his calculated gaze, trying to detect any kind of dishonesty in you.

I shouldn't be scared. I'm not doing anything wrong.

"I've heard a lot about you from Rosa." He casually said, but nothing about this interaction felt calm.

"I hope the good things, Sir."

I internally kicked myself for calling him that again. F**k, I felt like a guy meeting his girlfriend's police dad for the first time. It shouldn't have been like that because he's not a cop and I'M NOT A BOY!

"Hae a seat, Darlin' ." Rosa took me out of the awkward position and gestured towards the seat beside Blair.

Giving her a grateful smile, I took a seat and look ahead to see Neil watching me in amusement. I raised my brow at him, at which he smirked and shook his head. He must have felt the uneasiness and was making fun of me.

A**hole!

I glimpsed at Finlay, who was still standing behind Dolina's chair and staring at his father with a mixed expression on his face. No wonder what was going on in his head right now. Maybe he remembered some things.

"Amber." I flinched at Fergus's voice and deliberately turned my head to my right. "Rosa told me how you and Finlay met and everything, but if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions."

"Sure." I took a deep breath to prepare myself.

"What are you currently doing?"

Finding your son's potential murderer.

"I'm a journalist at the New York Times."

Everyone looked at me, surprised by my revelation because no one asked me such a question before.

"Your job?"

Investigate journalist.

"I'm an article writer..." He looked unimpressed, so I quickly added. "But I'm working on a story for my promotion."

"What story?"

A hit and run accident.

"It's... Uh, it's in the process right now, but I'll let you know as soon as I'm done with it."

He asked me a few questions about my family background and I answered them while the others were busy amongst themselves and not paying attention to me, which relieved me a little. He had a blank face when he asked me all those questions, but the muscles on his face twitched a little when I mentioned I'm from Pennsylvania.

"Where in Pennsylvania?"

"Kidder Township," I answered and his brows shot up and, for once, he looked surprised.

"Inn't that the same place Aurora waz fae?" Aunt Jessica mumbled, scrolling through her phone, not realizing she picked up a sour subject.

"Wait... Ye er fae the same place?" Uncle Lewis frowned and side glanced at Fergus. "Guess the apple does nawt fall far fae the tree."

"Awright enough widh the in'erview," Dolina said as Mr. Butler and the maids brought the breakfast. "Let'z pray an' eat."

Everyone ate and talked about the festival in the evening. The tension in the atmosphere didn't change, but I was glad he was done with the interrogation.