CHAPTER ONE: IT'S JUST YOUR AVERAGE DAY FOR TWO HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS, RIGHT?

It was March 31st, and I was on my way to pick up my best friend, Clarisse. As I finished tying my sneakers, I grabbed my oversized backpack full of school supplies and walked out my door to the garage. I started up my Ford Shelby GT500™ and headed on my way to her house. A few minutes later, I was at Clarisse's place, honking my horn for fifteen minutes so she could hurry up. She came out, still tying her shoe and trying to get her blonde, uncombed hair out of her face.

"C'mon Clarisse! We gotta go!" I exclaimed.

"The sun hasn't even risen yet!" She replied.

She hopped in and connected her phone to the stereo. Clarisse found my hairbrush in the glove compartment and fixed her hair, curls flowing down her back. I shuffled our playlist and backed out of her driveway. Realizing that we were running late, I floored the gas pedal and headed on the way to school.

***

I just turned the corner connecting my town and the next town over. I was going over some hills when Clarisse tapped me on the shoulder.

"Uhhh... Kalli? You see those two planes?" she asked, worried.

"What two pla- OH SHOOT UHH..." I replied, as there were two planes: one cargo plane, and one passenger plane from Oceanic Airways. It was just a matter of time before the two planes crashed and wreaked havoc in my hometown. I sped up, hoping to get out of harm's way, but couldn't. The planes crashed in mid-air, and flaming debris rained down on the streets of the Mooresville, Indiana outskirts. I drifted around the bloody remnants and limbs of the passengers, as well as fully intact bodies, which were probably in the back middle of the plane. Finally, the lower halves of the planes came hurtling down, straight towards me. I did one final drift, which luckily went to the driveway of my boyfriend, Dan's, house, and threw the car into "park". Clarisse and I stepped out of the Mustang. We stood by his garage and watched everything burn. Almost. Juice leaked out of what seemed to be Lithium-ion batteries and seeped into bodies of passengers from the plane. When I saw a movement, I pulled out my pocket knife and stood back.

"Kalli... what are you doing?" Clarisse asked, worried.

"DID YOU NOT SEE THAT THING MOVE?!" I screamed back, which was a mistake. I saw a few deformed bodies walk up towards us. I opened Dan's garage in a rush and backed in my car, almost crashing it. I then rushed to his house to grab him, but the door was locked. I knocked 50 times, and his dad answered the door.

***