CHAPTER 2: GREAT DAY FOR BLOWING UP CAR BATTERIES, INNIT?

"Kalli? Clarisse? What are you two doing here?" Dan's dad, Mr. Tyree, questioned.

"Oh, sorry Mr. Tyree, I decided to pick up Dan to take him to school with us," I lied. I actually was going to flee with him and Clarisse to West Lafayette, where we could possibly settle down and go to college after we finish high school online.

"Oh, okay. DAN, YOUR GIRLFRIEND'S HERE!" Mr. Tyree yelled.

"Kalli? What is she doing here?" Dan asked, confused.

"SHE WANTS TO PICK YOU UP FOR SCHOOL!"

I heard a bunch of mumbling that I couldn't understand, but a few seconds later, Dan was at the door, in a black shirt and jeans, as well as a brown, fleece lined coat. His jet black hair was also slicked back, and he was overall looking drop-dead gorgeous.

"We should go. We're running late!" I quickly said, leading Dan out of the garage and slamming the door.

"Babe, what are we doing? It's almost first period and we can't get to school on time."

"Dan, we probably could if I floored it, but that's not where we're going,"

"We're skipping school?" Dan and Clarisse asked, extremely nervous.

"You'd understand if you saw what happened outside."

"Yeah, there was a plane crash. I heard it, Kalli."

"Oh, but that's not all! There's zombies outside!" I exclaimed, just to make a point.

"Kalli, you gotta be kidding. Are you on something?"

"I'm on the ground. There's actual zombies outside though."

"She's right, actually. If we wanna make it out of this garage, then we would have to floor it to clear out the bodies." Clarisse stepped in and helped me win this argument.

"Mhm, exactly. Now c'mon and let's go, babe."

Clarisse was in the passenger seat already, shaking her head. Meanwhile, I was walking to get in my car while Dan had a shocked look on his face. I then remembered that my Mustang only had two doors, which meant that I had to walk back, get Dan, and shove him in the backseat. After doing exactly that, I got in, opened the garage, turned the car onto the road, absolutely smashed the gas pedal and quickly shifted up into the sixth speed. I got into town, which was a bad idea because my mom was at work and my car is pretty loud when going at high speeds, but that was the only available route to get away from these things that were result of a plane crash. Instead of turning on the road my mom's work is on, I turned on the stoplight up ahead. I most likely was going to get a call from my mom anyway because the other route went past my school and ended near my mom's workplace. Oh well, it was too late to turn back now. I just turned to stay on Indiana Two Sixty-Seven when my phone started ringing. Of course, it was my mom.

"Ma, I can't talk now."

"Why, Kalli?" My mom asked, angry.

There was no point in lying to her. "There was a plane crash not too far from Dan's house that could have killed me if I didn't drift around everything in the Mustang. There's also zombies,"

"Kalli, are you on drugs?"

"No mom," I laughed "I'm not. Clarisse and Dan would have to be on them as well, and Clarisse wants to work for the cops after finishing school,"

"So you're going to school now, right?"

I just turned onto the interstate when she said that. "I may or may not have just turned onto the entrance ramp to I-70..."

"Kalli," My mom said in her stern voice, "Where are you going?"

"West Lafayette. I think I'm going to finish school online and go to college at Purdue afterwards,"

"Do you have enough money to live there- Gotta go Kalli, a class just came in for computer science." My mom ended the call.

I turned on the radio and shuffled a random playlist. I had Clarisse text my mom that I'd be okay and I'll find a new job to get cash.

***

We just pulled off of the interstate and turned onto U.S. Highway Fifty-Two. I decided to head to the Mad Mushroom pizza place on the Purdue University campus so that we'd look normal. I pulled into the parking lot a few minutes later and unloaded everyone. After everyone got out, I heard an odd noise coming from underneath the car.

"What was that?" I asked, worried that we wouldn't make it out of this state alive.

"I dunno. Want to look?" Dan replied.

"Do I? Of course I do! We might die from this!"

I looked under the car, and what I saw was...