48

kit's POV

i like lee. a lot. and even though she wouldn't believe it, i really did want to kiss her. not just because i'm upset but because i like her.

lee left and went back into the building a few minutes ago. still sitting on the concrete by the pool, i check the time. once i realize that it's well past 2 in the morning, i decide it's finally time to head back up to the room.

as i walk back into the hotel, the image of lee repeatedly pops into my head.

her face so close to mine. her hand in my hand. the way her eyes blinked slowly. our lips merely an inch away.

i use the key that the hotel staff provided me with to
open the door of the room. however, when i open the door, i can tell my presence has thrown off the atmosphere of the area.

joe, yaz, and lee are the only people awake. everyone else has already fallen asleep, i guess.

the three of them are sitting on the floor in a small circle, talking among themselves. when they hear the door close behind me, they all look up at the same time.

lee looks a big disheveled and freaked out. joe looks like he's about to murder me. and yaz just seems completely unfazed — she probably drunk, let's me honest.

"what's up, guys?" i ask, slightly trying to ignore the tension in the room. and slightly attempting to make conversation.

nobody answers, though. the silence is long and awkward.

"i'm gonna leave, now." yaz says, seeming to be a bit uncomfortable being in the middle of everything. "i'll be back in a few minutes."

she then stands up from the floor and walks out of the room.

i have no idea where she's planning on going but i hope she doesn't somehow get into trouble. judging by how wasted she looks, im scared she'll have to be escorted back here.

"well," joe says, now standing up. "i, uh- i have to use the bathroom."

joe makes sure to glare at me before leaving lee and i  alone. she's sitting on the floor, avoiding eye contact while i'm standing beside her.

i sit down on the floor in front of her, making her look at me.

"i'm sorry." she mumbles, looking at the floor. i notice lee fumbling with her fingers, anxiously.

"for what?" i ask even though i already know what's she's referring to. she's talking about the kiss. about how she turned me down.

but i hope i'm wrong. i hope there's something else she's sorry about. because if she's apologizing to me for not being comfortable with kissing me, i'm going to be annoyed. not at her. at whoever made her think that she should feel guilty for having boundaries.

"for refusing to kiss you." she says. "it might be stupid that i feel so upset about it, but-"

"eileen." i interrupt, because the moment i hear her say exactly what i didn't want her to, a pool of anger swirls in my gut. "you have absolutely nothing to apologize for. if you didn't feel comfortable, i understand that."

she looks up at me, finally tearing her eyes away from the carpeted floor. upon seeing her on the verge of tears, i feel even angrier that she feels this way.

what kind of psycho would ever do anything negative to lee? i know damn well it wasn't either of her moms. they love her. they would never. it was someone outside of her family, someone she trusted.

"who-" i pause, rewording my sentence. i want to know who hurt her this badly. but i know talking about this topic can be difficult for her. so i ask this as softly as possible, "did someone make you think that you should feel bad for declining a kiss?"

her eyes widen slightly. i can see a sense of fear and remembrance behind the blue color.  

"i don't know what you're talking about." she responds; but i can tell she's lying. i know lee well enough to know what's true and what's not. 

"lee," i say, gently. "you can trust me. i promise."

☆  ★  ☆