Stepbrother

a/n: TELL ME IF THERE ARE TYPOS PLEASE

I'm in my old room. It's very strange to live on your own for a while, and then come back to your childhood bedroom.

My mom is getting remarried and she wanted me and my stepbrother to be home for at least two months before the wedding. I took a semester off to study for the MCAT so I agreed. I can still study in my old room.

Finn is in the guest room, right next to mine. We have history.

Before our parents met, we were... something. We weren't in an official relationship, neither of us could handle the commitment or the labels so we were... Us. We were just an Us. We did a lot of the things a couple would do and a lot of things just friends would do, things that a couple wouldn't because they were together. We were exclusive, since we only wanted each other. He was the best thing that had happened to me in a while. Until our parents met. Then it had to end.

My phone buzzes and I ignore it. I'm in a really good spot in my book, right now. It buzzes again and I sigh, picking it up.

Finn: are u awake
Finn: ruby pls

I pinch my eyebrows together before getting out of bed. I leave my room and go to my step-brother's room. I choose not to knock and walk right in.

I see him sitting on the edge of his bed. One arm is around his stomach while the other is gripping his knee. He's hunched over and gasping for air.

"Finn, what's going on??" I ask as I walk over to him, closing the door behind me.

"I'm just-I-" His voice is raspy and he sounds panicked. He shakes his head and I crouch down in front of him. I take his face in my hands and realization dawns.

The dream.

"Look at me," I say softly and his eyes open, "You're alright. I promise, Finn. It was just a dream."

He shakes his head, "You don't understand-"

"I do, Finn. I understand, okay? I get it. But I need you to calm down. Focus on your breathing, alright?" I keep my tone calm and soft. He's having an anxiety attack and the last thing he needs is for me to start freaking out, too.

I wipe some of his tears away and he starts breathing in through his nose and out through his mouth. I nod, "Like that. Keep doing that, I'll be right back."

I get up and go to the bathroom. I grab a washcloth and run cold water over it. I wring out the excess water before going back to his room. I'm back in my spot in front of him and he stares down at me.

"Focus on the cold washcloth, okay?"

He nods and I gently place it on his cheeks. He closes his eyes and I watch his body start to relax. I stand up in front of him and take a deep breath. His hand gently wraps around my thigh and he pulls me against him. I move the washcloth to his forehead as he lays his head against my stomach. I run my fingers through his hair as I listen to his breathing start to even out.

"Ruby," He whispers as he faces me.

I shake my head, "No, Finn."

"You don't even know what I'm about to ask," He opens his eyes and I see the exhaustion in them.

"I'm not staying," I scrunch my nose and drop my voice to a whisper, "It's weird."

That makes him chuckle, "We're not actual siblings."

"Still."

He takes a breath in, "Well I don't know about you, but I remember a time when our parents never even met and you and I-"