43 | The Earth and the Sky

N + A became the thing we wrote on the world.

We carved our initials into every tree, bench, and panel we could. Nico wanted something I could see when he left, and I wanted to watch our names become permanent throughout town. Armed with pocket knives and a strange sort of adrenaline, we spent his 7th to last day in California making it our own.

I knew there was something sad about this need. Normal couples carved their initials so they can come back there together, and we did it because, in 10 years, we may forget about each other. There was no Apollo Quinn skating on the ice in Vermont, and there was no Nicolas Young sitting on the sand in California.

He turned in his apron at the gelato shop and took his last pay check. "$400, Ollie. Can you believe that?"

"I can. I got the same thing."

"I never had this much money during school," he said, running his hand across the check. "Maybe I'll buy you something."

"Oh? Like what?"

"A ticket to Vermont."

"That'll be more than $400."

"Then, I'll buy you a telescope, and you'll have to spend every night trying to peak into my town all the way from here."

I rolled my eyes at him and he adjusted my glasses against my nose. "What town do you live in again?"

"Middlebury."

I smiled. "Nicolas of Middlebury."

"No," he shook his head. "'Of' means I came from there. And I came from right here."

I liked that, the fact that his roots were planted here. Sometimes, it was easy to forget, but when we stood in the sun in front of my house, I remembered. And he was beautiful. And I was so terribly in love with him.

"Where are we spending today?" Nico asked me. It was a routine at this point. We stayed home for breakfast, left for lunch, and returned for dinner. He had taken part in every meal, even if it took a while longer.

"We could meet up with Izzy and Rowan?"

He looked at me before letting out a breath and stepping along the sidewalk. "What do you think about taking a camping trip?"

"I think you're overestimating my courage."

"Now, how would that be possible? You've kissed the boy you've liked all summer, toured a college, and took a road trip without an adult. I'd say you can take on a camping trip."

I laughed, pulling his hand into mine as we walked. "I fear you believe in me more than I do."

"You'll catch up."

I looked at him then, slowly trying to memorize every part of Nicolas Young while he still stood beside me. The wind liked to dance in his hair, the ocean in his smile. His eyes were deep and happy but carried an anger I couldn't understand. His eyes had seen a million tragedies and cried for every one of them.

"A camping trip?" I asked him. "That's really what you want?"

"Being alone with you in the middle of nowhere? More than anything, my love."

"I think you might get sick of me."

"I've lasted all summer, haven't I?"

"This is different. This is a tent in the wilderness."

"I'm sure I can manage."

"I get anxious away from home."

"I can calm you."