Chapter 27: Playing CID

"So from our room, there is a kundan set, the envelope of money, my new watch and a diamond and ruby set missing. From Riya's room, her iPad, a new set of silver anklets, and three Swarovski bracelets are missing. Dadi can't find her pearl necklace set and silver tea set, and maa and dad have some money, dad's leather wallet collection and maa's emerald earrings and sapphire ring missing. Aarav can't find his gold cufflinks. That's a total of sixteen things missing. Just suddenly gone. Not to mention, we weren't able to get a hold of Chachu to check his room." Shourya taps his pen on the writing pad and looks up at the women and Aarav.

"But bhai, do you really think Priya Bhabhi would do such a thing? I mean yes she jumps at any opportunity to get expensive things, but stealing? I don't know." Aarav says. Shourya and Aarav are home today, whilst the rest of the men were at work and Rohan and Priya had gone out for lunch. "I don't know, but do you guys have pictures of all those things missing? Pictures where you're using the things or wearing them?"

They all nod their heads together, and take out their phones to find the picture, "Good, send them to me and I'll get printouts."

"Suniye, what are we going to do now? Mujhe daar lag raha hai." Meera expresses her worries. Shourya looks over at her, and a strong emotion arises from within him as he looks at his newlywed wife. They should be spending time together, planning their honeymoon, thinking about their future together, sharing sweet memorable moments; not worrying about someone stealing from them.

(Listen. . . . I'm feeling scared.)

He takes her hands and kneels in front of her, "I'm so sorry sweetheart, as a newly married bride, all of this nonsense is the last thing you should be worried about. I'm sorry baby." Meera blushes as everyone awes at the couple. She looks down and wiggles her hands out of his grasp, "pr aa-aage kya krna ha-hai?"

(B-but what do we f-from h-here?)

"Hume jald baazi mein kuch nahi krna. Ho sakta ho ki Priya na ho, aaj usne set dekha aur pehn liya, aur chor koi aur hi ho. We have to trap the thief. Jo bhi hai, uske paas access hai humare ghar ka. Toh jo bhi hai, bohot aasni se mil jayega."

(We shouldn't do anything is a rush. Maybe it isn't Priya, maybe she just saw the jewellery and decided to wear it without asking, and the thief is someone else. We have to trap the theif. Whoever it is, they have access to our whole house. So we'll find them soon and really easily. 

"Toh kya krna hai, beta?" Sunita Devi asks.

(What should we do?)

"Ghar pr kisi jeweller ko bulvaiye jaise app bulvaane hi wale the, aap saab ko jo bhi pasand aaye lena. Pr make sure us waqt ghar mein sab ho, including all our workers. Koi bahana bana lein ge. Aur sab ko dikhe ki aapne kya liya hai aur woh kitne ka hai, aur maa aap sab saman apne kamre mein rakhna. Phir hum dinner backyard mein krenge, taki ghar koi nahi ho. Jo bhi hai, lalach se maara woh paka aayega jewellery lene."

(Call a jeweller at home, like you were going to. and buy whatever you like. But make sure that at that time, every single person is present. including all our workers. We'll make some excuse. Make sure everyone can see what is being bought, how much it's worth. And maa you take all your purches and keep them in your room. Then we'll have dinner in the backyard, so the house is empty. Whoever the thief is will be tempted by greed and come to take the jewellery.)