Prologue

"So, when do I get to meet your friend, Tara?" My friend, Rusty Ross asked, as we rode our bikes to the Santa Monica Pier.

I smirked at him. "I never said you could." I teased him. And he grinned.

I was absolutely dying on the inside. Of course, he likes Stella Fitzpatrick, everyone does.

I'm just Tara Lewis. Stella's cute, funny sidekick. But apparently I'm also "just one of the guys" too.

I've liked Rusty since I met him last summer. I had been sitting in the park, reading My Life With The Walter Boys by Ali Novak.

He had walked up, and sat down next to me. "Hey, I'm Rusty."

"Hi, I'm Tara. Tara Lewis." I had replied, grinning at him.

We hung out all summer long, and we became best friends, it was like we'd known each other for our whole life. That's why I was happy when he texted me and said he'd be coming to the same school I go to. I thought he liked me too.

But then just as soon as he saw Stella, that thought slowly faded away.

"Can you please text her and ask her to meet us at the Santa Monica Pier?" He asked, pouting.

I laughed, but anyone, well, except Rusty, could tell that it was forced. "Sure. Just give me a minute."  As I uttered those words, I whipped out my phone.

Me: Heyy, Stell, I'm with Rusty, can you come down to the pier? He wants to see you.

Stella: Who? Is he cute?

Me: Yes, ofc. He's Rusty Ross, he's definitely cute.

Stella: OMG! U mean Rusty Ross wants to see me?! <3 ur the best! See you guys soon!

I put my phone up and looked at Rusty. "She's coming. Just give her an hour or two." I said.

"An hour? Why?" He asked, definitely confused.

"It's Stella. She's going to take an hour or two to get ready." I said, giggling.

"Well, do you want a snow cone or some cotton candy? Just a little snack before she gets here." He offered.

Just as he asked those words, my stomach grumbled. I cursed my stomach for giving me away. He chuckled. "I'll take that as a yes." He said, and led me to the big Ferris wheel.

We stopped at a concession stand and got 2 things of cotton candy. He got me a snow cone too, so that made me happy.

If I'm being completely honest, it was like we were on a date. Like he wasn't waiting on Stella.

But in reality, he was waiting on Stella and I was just his friend.

About ten minutes later, Stella walked over to us and of course, she looked gorgeous as always. But she wasn't dressed normal.

This girl decided to wear her prom dress from the 8th grade. It looked like she'd gotten it altered or maybe just straight up cut it.

"Wow! Stella, you look beautiful!" Rusty said, as his jaw dropped.

"Thanks, Rusty." Stella said, then her gaze settled on me. "Couldn't you have tried a little bit harder on your appearance, Tara? You look like a hobo."

That was a wound to my soul. I never thought my "friend" would say something like that to me.

And little did I know, it would only get worse from there. I just wish I could've done something about it before it went too far.