Part 1

It had been three months since my scholarship was cancelled, and I still couldn't believe it was true

It had been three months since my scholarship was cancelled, and I still couldn't believe it was true. My dreams had been destroyed. And to add insult to injury, my car had just broken down again.

It wasn't as if I didn't know that Uncle was on his last legs; it'd been that way for months. It wasn't as if I didn't like designing flower arrangements or helping my aunt at her flower shop. It was the fact that I'd been consumed by an odd feeling the past few days. Feelings that could only be summarized in one word: mediocrity.

I'd dreamed too high and fallen flat on my face.

I loved being surrounded by flowers. My greatest dream had been to create the most beautiful gardens - those I'd dreamed about with my mother as a child. It was around flowers that I'd always found my peace. Yet I currently missed school more than I was willing to accept. I missed the bustle, the lectures, my teachers, and the inspiration that all of that brought. I missed the constant learning, the chaos leading to creativity... I even missed the never-ending projects.

My cell phone rang, bringing me back to the present. It was Melo.

"Hey, Melo. How are you?" I tried to sound at ease, but Melo knew me better than I knew myself.

"Eda, stop trying to act 'normal'... it's scary," she provoked, and I rolled my eyes even when I knew she couldn't see me.

"Tamam!" I grumbled, "Melo, what's up? I thought Fifi had forbidden you from using your cell phone at work."

I also knew that it wasn't a rule that Fifi followed to the letter, but calling me up during working hours was strange unless something had happened. Or maybe Melo was just checking on me because she noticed I'd been upset earlier. Melo would definitely try to do something to cheer me up. And the last time she'd tried to do so, I'd ended up on a date with Seymen - the man was a prince when he didn't act like a psychopath. In brief, I had no desire for another blind date arranged by Melo. No way.

Melo's voice pulled me from my reverie, "You're right. But this time, it's for a good cause. Fifi wants to speak with you."

"With me?" I was a volunteer on Saturdays at the shelter. Melo worked there as an accountant and cook. I wasn't one of Fifi's employees; It was rather odd that she'd request my presence on a weekday.

"With you, Miss Eda," Melo confirmed, quite excited. "She heard from the children that you could help them to make their own vegetable garden. Then Bethul mentioned at lunch how her daughter was doing this at her school, and she'd already planted tomatoes." Melo continued explaining the situation in detail. But I was no longer paying close attention to her. Making a vegetable garden with the children was the best opportunity I could have at this moment. I had so many ideas, "I accept," I replied, interrupting Melo, and she laughed. "I mean, I love the idea."

"I informed Fifi that you are not attending college this semester and might have time to embark on such a project. You'd need to prepare some documentation and get fingerprinted. But I don't think it'll be much trouble."