2. Second

(Implied Abuse!!!
Also, mineta isn't in this because I don't like him.
Thank you to anyone reading, it means so much to me!)

“Does it have fur?” Shoto whispered, his eyes wide and awake in the dark room.

“Nope,” I answered, popping the ‘p’. 

“Is it blue?”

“It can be.”

He bit at his lower lip before guessing, “Is it a parrot?”

I giggled and shook my head, “Not at all!”

“Is it… a fish?”

“Still wrong!”

He huffed and took too long to think, looking up at the ceiling and chewing on his lip. I was quickly bored and wondered if he fell asleep.

“Shoto?”

With a pout he answered, “I don’t know.”

“A snake!”

He shot up in his bed and whined, “Snakes can’t be blue!”

“Can too! I win!” 

“No you don’t, you lied!”

“I did not! Blue Racers are blue! And so are Eastern Indigo Snakes!”

“You're just making that up!”

“Am not!”

“Are too!”

“Am not!’ 

“Are too!”

“Children.”

We both stopped talking immediately, eyes inching toward our bedroom door as our mother stood there, eyebrows raised, eyes half lidded, a frown on her lips. “I put you to bed half an hour ago. You should be asleep.”

“We were trying, but we couldn’t fall asleep,” I said. 

“Lion, I only agreed to let you two share a room if you could behave.”

“We will,” Shoto added quickly.

“Promise.” I said.

“Come on Lion, you should know better. Don’t drag your brother into your shenanigans. Now go to sleep. Both of you. And don’t complain about being sleepy tomorrow, alright?”

“Yes mom.” We said at the same time.

“Good, now rest well my loves.”

I waited for her footsteps to move down that hallway and the distant shutting of her door before looking at my brother with a mischievous grin. 

“I won.”

“705 meters.” Whispers surrounded the group as they stared at the smoke residue of the blonde boy’s throw. It was impressive. But not insermountable. I would certainly have to manage a better distance than that.

“I wanna go! That looks fun!” A girl with pink skin and an alienoid face yelped animately. Others added their agreements and the class was buzzing with excitement.

“So this looks like fun?” our teacher sneered, and I readied myself for the girl’s punishment. I shivered in expectation for what was to come. “You have three years of work ahead of you, and you expect fun? Today will not be a simple game. In this time it is critical for me to weed out anyone unfit to be a hero. I will have you all partake in eight different tests, and whoever ranks last will be sent home. Permanently.”