Chapter 25: Clara

"So," I paused between delicious mouthfuls of hotcake. "I didn't like your brother much."

Jasper winced as he sipped his coffee, his grey eyes meeting mine over the rim of his cup.

"I won't let him near you again," he promised.

I gazed at him. "How long has it been?" I asked. "Since you last saw him."

He stared back at me, watching me chew. "Five years this time," he answered.

I picked at the loose string on my coat. "This time?"

Jasper cleared his throat and nodded. "The last time I saw him, he was high-tailing out of San Antonio with his saddlebags full of country money, the rest of the gang showering us with bullets."

"San Antonio?"

He nodded slowly, wiping his hand down his face. "That was when I decided to start hunting another gang for a while. They kill five of my men that day."

"I see."

My mind spun. San Antonio was barely two days ride from where I grew up.

Jasper sipped his coffee, his grey eyes focused on mine. "Are you going to tell me what he wanted with you?"

I pursed my lips. "He said he wanted to pass on a message to the Red Right Hand Gang leader."

"To you?"

"Well, he didn't know it was me. He thought it was Hank."

"What message?"

"Back-off."

"And he was going to do that by raping you?" he snarled. I noticed his hands tightened into fists, a muscle twisted in his jaw.

"He thought it would hurt Hank, to hurt me. He though Hank would care about me."

"He's not wrong," Jasper murmured.

I shrugged slightly. "I suppose not. Though I'd hate to know how he planned on informing him..." I trailed off, ignoring the look of utter rage on Jasper's face. "There's another thing that's been bothering me, Jasper. He said that Rhett Mealy never forgot a face or a name. And that they knew why we were here in their territory."

He studied my expression. "I had heard that about Rhett Mealy."

"Do you think he knows who I am?" my voice peaked.

"He never saw you, Clara," he reminded me gently.

"But, he'd remember my name? My father's name, my husband's name?"

Jasper reached across the table and grasped my hand, encompassing it in his big hand. His steady gaze met mine. "He never saw you, he probably never realised you even existed."

I felt his fingers stroke my skin gently, pressing just slightly, a reassuring touch.

"But he knows about me now," I reminded him. "Your brother will have reached him by now. He might want revenge for killing his men."

"Not as the same person. Any, I killed them, Clara. Not you," his tone was sharp. "If he wants revenge, it'll be from me."

"Ian seemed determined to come after both of us," I mumbled.

"Clara," he bit out. I glanced up at Jasper again. His expression was drawn, serious. "While he is a threat to you, I will not and cannot rest. It has been my mission for years now to take down my brother and his gang, but it doesn't have to be yours, not any more."

I scowled at him. "What are you talking about?"

Jasper squeezed my hand. "I mean, that I will take care of you now. I want to. I can protect you. I can give you a new life. Not one of gun slinging, robbing banks and getting thrown into jail."