02.

vol i
chapter two

The crowd is muttering unhappily at the name, but Theia isn't able to even acknowledge it. She's stood frozen, her body shaking, the voices around her muted and drifting away. She can't remember how to breathe or how to speak.

"No, not Theia; please, not Theia!" Imari is still gripping on to her tightly, pleading at the Peacekeepers that stood before them. They push her away, grabbing Theia and moving her through the crowd.

Her father and brother are shouting. They're barging themselves through people to get closer to her. But she cannot hear them; she cannot hear anything.

Her feet carry her forwards, but she doesn't realise it until she is up on stage, standing to the right of Ambrose Ellery.

"Let's give a big round of applause to your District 3 tributes, Evan Bowen and Theia Marsden!" Ambrose claps, but not one person follows.
The crowd stands in solidarity, taking part in the boldest form of dissent they can manage. Silence.

The mayor tries to recover, reading the Treaty of Treason, but Theia isn't listening to a word— no one is. He motions for the two tributes to shake hands.
Theia grasps Evans hand; she can feel him looking at her, but she can't bring herself to meet his eyes. They turn back to the crowd as the anthem of Panem plays.

The moment it ends, the two are matched through the door of the Justice Building by a group of Peacekeepers. Once inside, they're ushered to a room and left alone.

~

Theia can barely stand to observe the richness of the room; her thoughts are occupying her mind and overwhelming her. The odds were more in her favour than many of the other kids in her district; her name appeared in the draw fewer times than most. It was supposed to be her last year; she was supposed to have escaped this, but it hadn't mattered. Hers was the slip that had been plucked out of the bowl.

And now she was sitting on a plush velvet couch, contemplating herself being thrown into an area to fight to the death, all for the Capitol's sick amusement.

No, no, no, no, she was supposed to be in the lab tomorrow. Working on her newest project, a possible breakthrough in genetically modified crops. It was supposed to be able to help with the malnourishment issues in the district. How was she meant to complete it if she was dead?
She can feel her eyes begin to water, but she refuses to let a tear fall. If she stood any chance of surviving this, she couldn't be seen as weak. Not now, not ever.

Her thoughts were halted by the door slamming open. Her father and brother rush in. They wrap their arms around her, and for a few minutes, the family says nothing.

"I can't believe this is happening. It's not supposed to be you. It should have been me." Silas is rambling, with words spilling out of his mouth. His sisters possible fate sinking in. This was the one thing he couldn't protect her from, and he had never felt more helpless.

Theia stops him from talking, turning serious. She starts listing all the things they would have to remember to do that she had done for them since her mother had passed. At least she wasn't here to witness her partake in the games; it would have destroyed her.
They had to watch out for her friends and the other families in the area. Her projects needed to be taken on. They had to be careful not to become complacent, making sure the traps around the house were working perfectly.
Once it seemed like she had gotten everything out, her emotions crept through again.