01.

vol ii
chapter one

Theia had been whisked away to the Victory Banquet at the president's mansion. It was an obnoxious event, with Capitol officials and extravagant sponsors vying for her attention. She could not recall how many photos she had been forced to take or how many times she had been unwillingly drawn into exhausting conversations.

To many, she was the most interesting creature they had ever come across, and to her, this was extremely unsettling. It was like she wasn't a real person in their eyes, but this figure that had been put up on an undeserved pedestal. She wasn't a celebrity, and she didn't want to be one.

They all desperately wanted to know what her next venture was—what they would be seeing from her next. But all Theia wanted to do was go home and attempt to regain a sense of normality. And finally, after numerous interviews, she was permitted to return.

She barely has time to say goodbye to Blayse, but she'll see her again when she has to tour the districts for a round of victory ceremonies. Until then, her stylist would be very busy, being absolutely bombarded with orders for her upcoming clothing line. Her designs were the hottest thing in the Capitol.

The journey felt like it continued on for forever, but Theia felt herself relax the further they moved away from the city, and the suffocation began to lessen.

She became anxious as they neared District 3, especially about what type of reception she would receive, but Ambrose, Beetee, and Rafael reassured her that she had absolutely nothing to be concerned about and that everyone would be overjoyed to see her.

Truthfully, she couldn't have prepared herself for the welcome.

As the train pulls into the station, the platform is bombarded with cameras and reporters, with crowds pushing forward to get a glimpse. She had never seen it so busy, and frankly, it was hard to believe that it was all for her.
Theia can hear them cheering her name, and this time she gives a genuine smile. These were people who were genuinely happy to see her return, people who had made sacrifices to ensure her victory.

She's waving enthusiastically, never having thought that she would miss the sight of smog and drab factories as much as she had or that automated whirs could be such a calming sound.

As she disembarks from the train, she's ushered away by Peacekeepers, despite her reluctance, as she attempts to speak to as many people as she can. Spectators are inching forward to shake her hand, thanking and congratulating her enthusiastically.

Someone grabs her arm tightly, and a flash of ginger hair catches her eye. She halts her guards, begging them to give her a moment.
"Mrs Bowen." Theia can feel her throat run dry, tears threatening to spill. An immense wave of guilt overcomes her as she looks Evan's mother in the face. "I am sorry—so sorry—I should have—" The woman simply shakes her head and gives a sad smile.

"There is nothing you could have done, dear. You came back; that's all that matters." She grabs Theia's hands tightly. "His death did not go to waste. You've given this district a new lease of life."
Theia smiles sadly, utterly grateful for the woman's reaction. "Please let me give you some mone-"
"No sweetheart. Your father has done more than enough for us already. Besides, we haven't had provisions like this from the Capitol in a long time. We're all better off thanks to you."

Theia is pulled away before the conversation can continue, and all she can do is give the woman a thankful expression and a wave.

She's led down familiar paths, reminiscing as she walks through the Manufacturing Settlement Area. After weaving through industrial plants, she comes to a stop in front of a set of humongous iron-clad gates. They had made it to the wealthiest part of the district, one that had never been seen by most of its inhabitants.