46

Lance

Anita sits next to me, regally sipping tea, her eyes closed. Michael and his wife Serena are across from us, the air warm and crisp, a gentle breeze passing through the quaint tea party of a murderer and his accomplices.

It's nice.

"And you intend to stay in Espinoza," Michael asks for the third time in thirty minutes.

I nod. "I do. This is our home. Besides, running away is equivalent to an admission of guilt."

My wife shifts. She complained to me this morning that I did a little too much, and that she's sore and aching this morning. The small smile that's stuck on my face seems to unnerve Michael, as he darts between the two of us quizzically.

"Besides. Mrs. Mendoza has roots here, she prefers it." I inform him.

"Yes but surely...at least moving to the country will be good. You may have been proven innocent but all of polite society is simply gleaming at the sight of blood in the water. You'll be subject to much gossip." Serena offers.

"We are often the subject of such attentions," Anita says softly.

"Yes but the country is quiet," Michael continues, aiming toward my weakness. He knows I hate socializing. "Not to mention you'd hardly receive visitors. It's uninterrupted peace. Why even I would have to prepare before journeying there."

Perhaps it is a good idea. I glance at Anita. "Yes...the country does sound nice," I hesitantly suggest. Anita looks up at me her eyes wide. "It could be a nice start."
She says nothing, but her eyes sheen over.

Michael leans over to his wife. "I think we have him."
Serena nods confidently.

"But I like the city. You wouldn't take me from the manor would you?" Anita asks, a hopeful smile on her face.

"I think we lost him," Serena says.
Michael nods in defeat.

I clear my throat. "I dislike bugs and wildlife anyway. The city it is."

Michael raises his brow. "You two seem... well-acquainted?"

"Shouldn't we be? We're married after all," I quip back.

Michael heaves a dramatic sigh, leaning his head on his wife's shoulder. "See how he mocks me so, darling? This is what I deal with all the time."

Serena chuckles and pats his shoulder. "There, there sweetheart, I'm sure the Admiral doesn't mean to be obtuse,"

Obtuse? Anita purses her lips, chuckling into her teacup.

I heave a sigh, bringing my own tea to my lips and taking a sip.

"You're right," Michael concurs, "It's just his twisted personality."

Must I sit here and be made fun of by Michael of all people?

"Yes, but you are his best friend...doesn't that make your personality a little twisted too," Serena smirks.

Michael gasps, leaning in. "I thought we were against him, why are we attacking me too?" He whispers.

"This idiot is not my best friend, he's just an acquaintance I bring around with me as a human shield."

"Human shield?! Against what?" Michael cries out, clearly offended.

"Hm, social activities, human contact, stray bullets, that kind of thing."

"But didn't you tell me that Michael was your closest friend and you treasured him and his loyalty?" Anita hums.

I've been betrayed. Michael grins.

I clear my throat. "I've said nothing of the sort."

"He loves me doesn't he?"
"Deeply." Anita smiles.
"Not at all." I deadpan, unamused. We chatter on like that for a while, and it's not the worst thing in the world, somehow. I almost like it. And then it's time for us to go.

"Well then," Serena says softly, holding Anita's hand. "You'll call when you're ready for a nursery. I'm telling you sometimes preparing can help it...take."

I don't hear anything else though I see her lips moving. Michael's eyes dart to me in inquisition. He's wondering if I knew and why I didn't tell him.

It's simple. I didn't know. But I will not be made a fool in front of Michael of all people. So I just nod along and edge closer to her, my hand on the small of her back.

"You be careful," Serena warns me.

I smile. "I will. Be so careful with her. With...them."

The ride home is quiet.

"So..." I start looking out the window.
"Hm?"
"Nursery?"

She says nothing for a moment. "What of it?"

My eye twitches. "What will being going this nursery?"

"I'm unsure. What usually goes in a nursery."

I swallow. "Baby. Baby animals. Baby...baby cats."

"Kittens," she corrects me. I wave her off.
"Baby dogs?"
"Those are called puppies?"
"Baby...sharks?"
"Ironically also called pups."
"What do you call a baby human?"

A smile spreads along her face and she give me a cute little shrug. "Usually just a baby."

"Right. So we don't have cats, or dogs, or sharks, or wolves—"

"Ancestor of dogs," she informs me.

"Thank god because I hate animals."
"I'm aware."
"And the feeling is mutual. They hate me too."
"I'm aware of that, too." She said simply.

We sit with that for a moment.

"You don't really like humans either. But babies love you."

I raise my brows. "Because I'm boring. They're not..entertained by me. We aren't...friends but I put them to sleep."

"You put them at ease. It says something about one's character."

I purse my lips and sigh. "Are you with child, Anita?"

Anita is quiet again. "It's not likely it will stay. It's not my first loss."

"Matteo?"

She looks at me sadly. "Among others. I wasn't going to tell you until I was showing. You're usually safe after that—safer at least."

"I wouldn't have been so rough if I'd known." I murmur. "The jostling it...it can't be good for the child—"

"It's fine," she smiles softly. "I lost most of them when you were away. If I lose it, it's fate."

I clear my throat, and put my hand over hers. "I think we should...clear out the room nearest ours. For the nursery. And I think you should stay in bed."

"Bedrest," she smirks. "How did I know?"

I shake my head. "You should rest more often. And a doctor—"

She rolls her eyes and looks out the window. "You and doctors."

"Mrs. Mendoza," I frown, giving her a stern look, dropping my tone a bit. "You will take care of your health. That means regular doctor visits."

"Yes, Admiral. As you command admiral," she salutes me stoutly. I smile, lean over and kiss her cheek.

"At ease, soldier."