Chapter 36- Unveiled Reality

"Father...?" Jeanette's voice rang in Claude's ears. When he opened his eyes, blinded by daylight the first few seconds of his awakening, he realized he was lying on his sofa, as usual. Jeanette's jewel-blue eyes were looking at his with constant concern and it was then that he realized he had been lying down to soothe a headache that was now non-existent.

He slowly got up with Jeanette's help, his body still sore, even after hours and hours of sleep. He even saw Felix at the entrance to his room, his eyes just as full of concern. He knew it, his condition was a sight to behold. He had lost weight, his complexion was much paler and his eyes showed dark circles. This cadaverous look, he began to suspect little by little where it came from.

Indeed, he had been ill for several months. But the only person who had noticed at that moment was Athanasia.

"You will die soon, Your Majesty. You are ill and you know it."

He could still see the expression on her face. She seemed so serene to tell him about his future death. She had warned him, all along, she had given him clues.

"Since I'm being kind, I'll give you a hint. The source of your pain is close, very close to you."

She knew it. Athanasia had always known it. His pains, his migraines, his moments of tiredness... He already knew that it was to the curse he had put on himself a few years ago. Even if he couldn't remember why, he knew what he had done and the effects were slowly catching up with him. But why, why hadn't she told him...

"I want to let you reap what you had done. Karma always catches up with you, after all."

Of course she wouldn't have told him. Why save the life of the person she hated the most? Claude began to smile slowly. Then he looked closer at Jeanette for another moment.

"Father? What's the matter? Does your head hurt?" But Claude shook his head without another word. He simply raised his hand to the cheek of the brunette who slowly widened her eyes. It was at this moment.

That precise moment, he understood.

It wasn't just because of his pain or the incident at the church that should have put him on the trail. It was just because it was Jeanette. This child was far too pure for a member of the royal family, far too pure to be his or Penelope's daughter. Yet it was certain that she was. But this dark magic, this disastrous power he had felt from her. He had felt it before, and that was the moment he took the throne from his brother, Anastacius de Alger Obelia.

Claude started to giggle almost stupidly, which surprised Jeanette and Felix even more, who gave each other perplexed looks. But the Emperor didn't care anymore. He didn't even know if he should give in to despair or madness. He really was going to go mad.

"Your Majesty?" Felix's voice appeared so far away in his ears.

The thing that would cause his death.

That person.

It was Jeanette.

. . .

"You shouldn't be like this."

Sitting among the flowers in the Ruby Palace garden, Athanasia already knew she must have fallen asleep and that it was just a dream. Otherwise, she wouldn't find herself talking to anyone but Lilian. But she decided to answer her concerned voice anyway. "Lucas can't heal Elphinny, as strong as he is. What else can I do but be in this state?"