26

School finally lets out and I head to my locker to grab the books I need for homework

I walk to Lavender's locker which is where we all agreed to meet.

Sage, Harper, Theo, and Lynn are already there and all five of them have a distressed look on their face.

"What happened?"

"We're trying to figure out the car situation, only you and I have a car," Sage explains.

"Excuse you, it's my car too," Lavender grumbles, making my lips quirk up.

Sage shushes her by pushing his hand on her face.

Smacking his hand away, she leans her head on the locker doors and looks at me.

"Oh, my sister dropped me off in mine. Her paint got chipped so she's getting it fixed," I say, looking between the twins.

"That's fine, the girls can sit on each other's laps or something. Let's just go." Sage begins to walk outside the school and we all follow him.

I catch up with Theo and pat his shoulder. "You can take the front seat if you want."

"You sure?" he asks.

"Positive."

Somehow, all six of us manage to squeeze into the red five-seater car.

Sage is driving, Theo's in the passenger seat, Lynn is by the left window, Harper is in the middle, I'm by the other window, and Lavender squeezing in between her best friend and me.

I see Harper cross her legs over another so Lavender has more room but her thigh still ends up almost on top of mine.

She soothes out her skirt and sighs. Resting her head back on the headrest, she closes her eyes.

I can feel the heat radiating off her bare leg even through my pants. I look at where our knees are touching and slowly look up. I count three freckles on her thigh before looking at her hands resting on her sides and finding a single freckle on her right middle finger.

I hear Lavender take a deep breath as she leans over me to roll down the window. I immediately tense up before she can relax back in her seat. "Sorry. I need air," she mumbles.

"Do you need to switch seats?"

"No, I'm fine." She begins to shrug off her blue blazer but it's difficult since she's in a tight spot. "It's just so hot."

She leans forward to get her arms out. I reach for her arms and she looks back at me.

"Let me help you," I say.