Chapter 5: Him

We stare at each other for a few long moments, his eyes widening as the mate bond snaps into place between us, the Moon Goddess recognizing that we are the other halves of one another.

No. No. Not if I have anything to say about it. Especially not with this guy, the alpha who's pushed me to the ground and called me 'little'.

"My mate," his tone is breathless, full of wonder as the words leave his perfect lips. Curse them for being so perfect. He's achingly handsome, I cannot deny that. He's all masculine edges—chiseled strong jaw, firm, defined muscles with a broad frame straining even beneath his clothes. His hair is coal-black, falling perfectly around his rugged face, such a striking contrast to his light eyes and pale skin.

I ignore the pang of mate-driven desire in my chest, glaring up at him and kneeing him in the gut. "Don't fucking touch me.!"

He grunts in pain, his grip faltering, but not enough for me to get out of it even as I squirm.

"So coming at me with a knife wasn't enough?" he asks in a strained voice as he recovers from the blow, his Northern accent prominent. (Just imagine a sexy British accent;)

"I'll do it again if you don't let go!"

He obeys this time, and I am surprised. Alphas have never listened to my wishes. He releases my wrists, not even bothering to take my knife from me. So I back up, still on the ground, pointing it at him with my knees bent.

He watches me intently, expression unreadable. "I am not going to hurt you,"

Against my will, my wolf, excited for its mate, begs to believe him. But I know better than to trust an alpha.

"Stay back.!" I order, keeping the knife out in front of me as I get to my feet, knees wobbling under me. But as I come up to my full height, I feel woozy, my vision blurring. The back of my head pulses with pain and I reach back to touch it, my hand coming away red with blood. I must've gotten hurt earlier when that alpha Oliver killed threatened me.

Immediately he stands as well, revealing his immense height that I had not been able to observe when I was attacking him with a knife. He towers over me, looking down with brows drawn together in what looks like concern. "You're hurt," He comes towards me, reaching out with a large, veined hand.

"Did I not tell you to stay back?!" I swipe the knife at him, but he doesn't flinch. He merely steps back, dodging the tip of the blade so I miss. My cheeks burn in embarrassment at my weak attempt to defend myself. But at least I made him stop coming toward me.

"You must be treated. I cannot let you be when you are bleeding before my eyes. Please, my mate," he begs, urgency in his words.

"Don't call me that!" I snap. "And don't you even think about taking me anywhere if you don't want me to cut your throat,"

I cannot trust him. He's an alpha, a threat. I don't know if he's lying. He could be playing a trick, hoping to abduct and sell me off to some creeps. It had happened to omegas in my pack; it could happen to me too. Not to mention that his being my mate makes it no better; I have seen alphas kill their fated mates. They are not built to love omegas, only to control and dominate over us.

"Do not be so stubborn," he growls in frustration and I flinch, fear spiking my blood. I'm about to lash back at him when—

"Mama.!" Oliver's voice calls out behind me.

I whip around to see him running towards me, tears running down his face. "I thought you left me.!" He cries, burying his face in my stomach, squeezing me so hard I wince. I wish he had stayed up in the tree. There, he was safe. Down here, I can't guarantee that. But he's spoiled his cover by his appearance, and I can't change that now.

"Oh, no, baby. I would never leave you.!" I hug him close, keeping my body between him and the alpha as a shield. He may be angry that his supposed 'mate' has given birth to another alpha's pup and try to hurt Oliver, or me, as punishment. Or, hopefully, he will just think of me as impure and decide he wants nothing to do with me after all. Then we can be on our way.

I'm about to turn back and tell him I don't care for the 'treatment' he wants to give me when a sharp, throbbing pain shoots through my head. I whimper, knees buckling as I clutch Oliver's shoulders.

"Mama!" Oliver screams as I lose myself, sinking toward the ground.

I expect to land in the dirt, but then I feel warm, strong arms wrapping around me and lifting me up with ease against a sturdy chest. I would protest if I could speak, but I am far too weak. I say my child's name under my breath before the world goes dark.

*

When I come to, I'm in a tent, Oliver sleeping at my side. I look down in relief to see that my clothes are untouched. Thank god. Most alphas I know wouldn't pass up the chance to undress an unconscious omega and have their fun. I know all too well. 

Still, this doesn't mean I can trust him—them. The others he's with. I peak outside the tent, only seeing one other tent and the remains of a fire that must have been burning in the early morning. The sky is fading to dark again, signaling nightfall. I must've been brought back to their camp by that alpha, my... mate. Though I don't think I'm ready to accept that fact. Where is he, anyway?

Then I hear the crunch of leaves from alarmingly close, quickly closing the tent flap I was looking through.

"Are they still sleeping?" I hear an unfamiliar, deep but feminine voice ask.

"Yeah," a gruff, similarly unfamiliar voice replies. Neither of them are him.

"Still can't believe it. Who would've thought?"

"I don't care. Cyrus's been a pain in the ass. We're supposed to be back already,"

"Don't be so jealous, Xavier," the woman teases.

"I'm not," the alpha called Xavier replies, short and quipped. "But when our Alpha wastes time guarding a tent all day and forcing me to help him--"

"The tent that contains his mate and his mate's child," she presses on, obviously amused by Xavier's annoyance. 

"How can anyone be that young and have a child?" Xavier scoffs, and I'm not prepared for the twinge of hurt in my chest at his words. I've always been judged for being a young, single mother, yet for some reason, it hurts more coming from these new people, these people that my m--Cyrus is associated with. 

"Do you think Cyrus will accept it?"

"Get back to your post, Lonnie," Xavier growls. 

"Geez, being Cyrus's Beta has got you on your high horse," Lonnie's tone is joking, but resentment lies beneath. 

"Lonnie."

The conversation dies as heavy footsteps approach, signifying someone's arrival. Cyrus.