Chapter 28: Vera

Stays: Regency equivalent of a push-up bra.

Smalls: Men's underwear.

'I cannot thank you enough for attending our humble event, Your Grace

'I cannot thank you enough for attending our humble event, Your Grace.' Mrs. Celia Farthing bowed deeply to her. 'I never would have imagined that a duke and duchess would have cause to attend something so unsophisticated.'

'We are more than delighted to partake in the happiness of our neighbors.' Minerva replied stiffly.

'You are too kind, Your Grace.' The older woman demurred. 'Though I lament we do not have finer company for you to enjoy. However, I do hear that Lord Harrison Windham has just come into his title and will be beginning repairs on his country seat soon enough. He was a charming young thing, grew up on the property between Hartley Manor and our home. He and Richard were playmates in their youths, the young heartbreakers.'

Harrison Windham?

So, that bastard was back on English soil, was he? Thought he could come back to Cornwall without facing consequences for his low behavior? Not if she had anything to do about it!

'I see.' She replied neutrally, even as distaste soured her mouth.

'I was hoping his lordship might take a fancy to one of my granddaughters.' She sighed wistfully. 'But alas, he comes from The Colonies with a betrothed in tow. I swear to you, by the end of the next decade the aristocracy will be more trade heiresses than actual high-born ladies deserving of....'

She trailed off in mortification as she realized who exactly she was talking to. 'What I meant by that was-'

'I know exactly what you meant, Mrs. Farthing.' Vera offered her a withering look, looking down her nose at her with her best I-am-one-step-below-royalty look. Was it effective as Benedict's? No. He had been born with mastery of it in his blood, but her approximation had the intended effect.

Mrs. Farthing, at the very least, had the decency to look mortified and thoroughly chastened. She scanned the crowd, either as a diversion or just to have an excuse to not look Vera in the eyes, then motioned discreetly. A few moments later, a man approached them. 

 'Richard, darling, come and greet Lady Rothbury.'

Oh, bloody wonderful.

Where the devil was her high and mighty, slightly intimidating husband when you needed him? By the looks of Richard's pale face, he was having just as much fun as she. He bowed deeply and introduced his wife. An adorable, short little thing who was eyeing her with equal measures of hostility and wariness. Mrs. Farthing, who loved gossip and had an opinion of just about everything and everyone, seemed to have neglected to listen to rumors about her own progeny for she looked at their awkward trio with an eager smile.

'Richard, you simply must dance the next set with Her Grace.' Mrs. Farthing began an incredibly well-intentioned but ill-advised attempt at making amends.