May Day

(264 days later)

My eyes lids open like stage currents. I look around squirting my eyes as the cool light was to vibrate on my sensitive eyes after I woke up. I see no one but me in the sleeping quarters.

The clattering sounds of cabinets opening and closing were in the room over noises from the canteen. I climbed out of bed stumbling toward the sounds. I was greeted by everyone sitting around the table. Drinking coffee.

"Morning Foro", says the commander "Some steak in eggs left in the bottom right cabinet."

I kneel, grab the pouches then place them in the microwave. I look to the table. Sill and Lorra are playing cards at the edge of the table from the looks of their faces it seems like Sill was winning, while on the opposite side of the table, Cyclo and Halden talk about their research.

The microwave stops its charge and beeps one time before I take out the pouches from the corners, placing them on the counter beside it. I peel back the cover grab the spoons in the cabinet and

Over the past nine months, we became strangers to great friends and grew very close to one another. Sill and Lorra bonded over going to the same high school. Making fun of their science teacher Mr. Bonsall. I was said to work in the laboratory with Halden as I graduated with my biology degree. Halden taught me how to take care of the plants that give us oxygen. It's funny how much we rely on plants to keep us alive.

Cyclo clears his throat turning all of our heads.
"As everyone knows we have ten days left before reaching Kepler." States Cyclo.
"Don't we have a call from Jnn." Lorra adds.
"Yes, we do."
"Maybe when we reach Kepler that Old man will be waiting for you Foro," Halden says.
We all laugh before gulping down our breakfast to get ready for our call with Jnn.

I trailed behind the four of them to the glass room but someone down the other hallway caught my eye. A red flash that blinks every other second. A faint alarm noise was tracing over the red flashes. It was coming from the laboratory. I look to the crew, already out of sight as I hear their voices of excitement travel off. I decided to quickly check what it is before entering the call room. It should be quick, just some malfunctioning. With each step into the room, the alarm became louder and the red lights flashed brighter. I entered the lab and the screen on the wall was a saturated blood red. The yellow text read, (WARNING METEOR SHOWER INCOMING).
"The "TV" was muted." I push out in a panic.

I look out the window on the side of the laboratory. Rocks big and small bolting towards the stations. They rolled like an avalanche without gravity. My heart was pounding as my body started to get hot. I could think. I didn't know if the rest of the crew or even the other shuttles have noticed it yet. I stumble out of the laboratory knocking down a white chair along the way. I run over to the classroom and open the glass door before it can do it. The loud steps of my feet turn the heads of the people on board looking at me like I was an exotic animal.

"What happened?" Lorra questions.
"M..Meteors!" I yell.

"THUD"

The sound of what seems to be a big piece of rock dents the station. The station violently shakes as red lights replace the cool lights it was before.

"Shit, Foro go to the control center and directs us away from the meteors The rest of us will grab the oxygen supply in the laboratory. Everyone races out the door like it was Black Friday while I head towards the other side of the room, down the steps. To the right was another control board, A chair, and a steering wheel with two-cylinder shapes poking out from the sides. Like an arrow going through an apple. I sit down in a panic hitting the auto pilot button to release the control of the station to me. I lift the handle sparking blue light from undeath the station from what I can see through the rectangle window with the round corners on each side. The meteors were much bigger than before and faster. I lift the wheel pulling up away from the rocks beneath.