𝒇𝒊𝒗𝒆

"𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐁𝐋𝐄"

Eleazar, a member of the Denali coven, moved in circles around her, meticulously studying her with wide-eyed intensity. Eleanor recoiled, feeling small and vulnerable.  The gazes of others had always made her uncomfortable.

"Are we sure it's not just Bella's shield projecting?" Carlisle inquired.

Edward's confident shake of the head dispelled any doubts. "Other than Bella and Eleanor, I can hear everyone's thoughts here. If Bella were projecting, I'm sure it would reach others."

"This is unlike anything I have encountered before," Eleazar stated, his eyebrows rising in puzzlement. "Could it be some sort of temporary imitation? Every talent is unique, never exactly the same thing twice and yet... I sense within her the very same barrier I sense in Bella."

"Could it be something that has been latent all this time?"

"I highly doubt that. If it were purely a shield, I would have detected it long before she became aware of it."

"The other night at the house, you asked me if I had any methods for my shield," Bella reminded her. She had been pacing back and forth, one hand over her mouth as she thought.

"You told me that you focused on protecting the people you loved," Eleanor shrugged. "I thought if I learned how to use it I could be helpful. Is that bad?" she asked fearfully.

Esme swiftly shook her head, her eyes filled with reassurance. "Oh no honey it's nothing bad. It's just... Different."

Eleazar's mind started to wander as he contemplated aloud, his voice filled with curiosity. "I can't help but wonder... Will it yield the same results as Bella's power? We tested Edward and Kate's abilities on her, but they had no effect. It suggests that she may be immune to mental influences. However, when it comes to physical..."

Rosalie scoffed. "Well, we don't have Jasper to try."

"We have Benjamin," Emmett suggested.

Thomas frowned deeply, shooting a disapproving glare at the towering vampire. "No, we're definitely not doing that," he objected firmly, his tone laced with indignation. Emmett simply shrugged innocently, whispering, a low I'm just saying.

"Or..." Edward interrupted thoughtfully. "We could wonder if she can do what Benjamin does."

Eleanor frowned. Doing what Benjamin does? She didn't see the need. If she could already defend others, why did she need to learn something else?

Eleazar's eyes widened, his expression a mix of astonishment and intrigue. "Edward, what you're proposing... It has the potential to revolutionize everything. If there's even a slight chance that this young girl can imitate or acquire the abilities of other vampires, our confrontation with the Volturi would extend beyond her hybrid nature..."

Esme's features contorted in horror, her voice laced with concern. "They will want her."

"We're failing to consider the full implications," Edward said. "Let's say they see the evidence that Eleanor and Renesmee are not a threat. What guarantees us that they will leave us unpunished? You said it before, Eleazar. The reason Aro is coming himself is because his goal is acquisition. That's why I'm not so sure the evidence alone will be enough. But..." He paused, looking briefly at Eleanor. "If he knows Eleanor, if he knows what she can do... He will definitely spare her life. And if he does, why wouldn't he spare Renesmee's life? He would have no other choice. He wouldn't have any other excuse."

A hush fell upon the group as they contemplated Edward's proposition, each lost in their own thoughts.

Thomas was the first to break the silence. "You're proposing to use her as some sort of guarantee? That's not..."