𝒔𝒊𝒙

" 𝑨𝑹𝑬 𝒀𝑶𝑼𝑨𝑭𝑹𝑨𝑰𝑫?"

Renesmee's voice resonated in Eleanor's mind, the words wrapping around her thoughts like a gentle whisper. She lifted her gaze, meeting the depths of Renesmee's immense, chocolate eyes, and offered a tender squeeze to the girl's hand resting on her cheek.

The corners of her lips tried to curve into a smile. "Of course no. Everything will be alright, Ness."

Renesmee reciprocated the gesture, her expression growing livelier, brimming with innocent trust. In that moment, Eleanor discovered that she was quite good at lying.

In truth, she was terrified.

Witnesses were clustered to the right and left of where she stood. On her left side holding her hand was Renesmee, followed by Bella. On her right, Thomas remained vigilant, his piercing gaze fixed upon the clearing. Genevieve, with her imposing presence and vibrant, fiery red hair, was only a few steps behind him.

In front of them, another line formed. Between them were Carlisle and Edward. And Eleanor couldn't see them, but she could also sense by their heavy breaths the wolves behind them, hidden in the density of the forest.

Everyone was there. Waiting.

She absently twirled the end of her hair, a nervous habit that surfaced whenever anxiety gripped her. The night before, Esme had offered to cut it, since it had already gone below her waist. It now fell like a black cloak to the middle of her back, completely straight and shiny.

That very same night while standing before the mirror Eleanor had noticed that she had grown a little taller. Her height difference from Nessie was more noticeable now. She could pass for a teenager of perhaps thirteen or fourteen. However, her eyes, as green as the trees that stood tall behind her, still held that familiar fear that every child has when scared by spooky tales. It dawned on her—perhaps this was her very own horror story unfolding right before her eyes.

Thomas beside her sighed. "And here they come."

Eleanor watched the clearing. They moved in formation, approaching slowly like a dense black cloud. They walked in perfect synchrony, their smooth steps creating the illusion that they were almost floating.

As they neared, Eleanor's focus sharpened, her curiosity demanding a clearer view. She tilted her head slightly, endeavoring to peer past the imposing silhouettes of Kate and Garrett, who had taken up positions as protective sentinels in front of her.

"The wives. The entire guard. They all came," she heard one of the Romanian vampires hiss. She couldn't identify which one. She had already recognized them as Dracula One and Two, as Jacob had let slip one of those days. She thought it fit them well.

"Kid," Thomas whispered, so low she thought it had just been her imagination. "Whatever happens, stay focused on your shield."

Eleanor frowned in surprise because, of all the people there, the one who had been most against her using it had been him. Still, she ended up nodding.

"Alistair was right," Edward murmured, loud enough so that only their side could hear him. "They—Caius and Aro—come to destroy and acquire," he explained, his expression stern. "If Irina's accusation had somehow proven to be false, they were committed to find another reason to take offense."

Suddenly, the entire guard stopped. Eleanor sensed the shift in their collective gaze, the intensity of their scrutiny now fixated not only on Renesmee but also on herself. A surge of palpable fury emanated from their features, etching lines of anger and disbelief upon their faces.