Chapter 41 - Game over

Scrappy fired a barrage of bullets at Leon, who barely managed to dodge them by rolling to the side. He felt a sharp pain in his leg as one of the bullets hit him, making him fall to the ground. He looked up and saw Jessie advancing towards him with Scrappy still aimed at his chest. He tried to crawl away, but he knew it was useless. He was cornered and wounded, and Jessie was relentless. He closed his eyes and waited for the inevitable.

Suddently a red phrase flashed on the screen in the sky.

WARNING: MALFUNCTION DETECTED. ELIMINATION SYSTEM IS OFFLINE. ALL ELIMINATIONS ARE PERMANENT. NO RESPAWNS AVAILABLE. ERROR DETECTED. ERROR DETECTED.

Jessie stopped in her tracks and looked up at the screen in shock. She read the words again and again, trying to comprehend what they meant.
She looked down at Leon, who also looked up at the screen in confusion. He saw the fear and disbelief in Jessie's eyes, and felt a glimmer of hope in his heart.

He decided to use this opportunity to talk to Jessie, maybe make her see reason, maybe make her like him again, maybe even make her love him like he loved her secretly for so long...

"Jessie...please...listen to me..." He opened his mouth and said.

Jessie snapped out of her trance and looked at Leon with anger and disgust. She ignored his words.
"Why should I listen to you? You're a liar and a traitor! You sent me that letter! You hurt me!"

"What letter? I don't know what you're talking about! I never sent you any letter!" Leon shook his head and said.

"You sure are dense! The letter! The one where you said you hated me! The one where you said I'm annoying, arrogant and obnoxious! The one where you said I make you sick!"

As Leon listened to her, he felt a shock of horror and disbelief. He realized that someone must have written a fake letter to Jessie, pretending to be him. He realized that someone had tried to sabotage their friendship, or maybe something more.

He looked at Jessie.
"Jessie...I never wrote something like that. Someone wrote it to make you hate me. Someone who doesn't want us to be together..." His mind jumped straight to Piper.
Jessie looked at him with suspicion and doubt.
"How do I know you're telling the truth? How do I know you're not lying to me again?" She said.
"Jessie...you know me. You know how I feel about you. You know I would never say those things to you. You know I would never hurt you." Leon said, looking into her eyes.

Jessie felt a pang of guilt and sadness in her chest. She remembered all the good times they had together, all the laughs and jokes and adventures they shared, all the moments when they felt a connection that was more than friendship.
She remembered how Leon always made her smile, how he always supported her, how he always protected her.

She realized that she had been wrong to judge him so harshly, that she had been fooled by a cruel prank... that she had almost killed him for no reason.

She lowered Scrappy.
"Leon...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I was wrong. I was stupid. I should have trusted you."

"It's okay Jessie. It's not your fault. You were tricked. I don't blame you." Leon smiled weakly.

He reached out his hand and said:
"Uh... Can you help me up? I don't think I can walk." He said reaching out his hand.

Jessie nodded and took his hand. She helped him stand up and hugged him tightly.

The moment was interrupted by the sound of someone getting closer and closer to their location.

"Leon...can you hear that?" She whispered.

"Hear what?" He whispered back.

They heard a loud noise coming from the other side of the bush. They saw Max and Surge running towards them, waving their arms and shouting.