Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid)

Vitamin B9 also known as Folic Acid plays an integral role in brain functioning, mental well-being and emotional well-being. It works in the body to build DNA, RNA, and assists with the formation of red blood cells. Vitamin B9 is most crucial whenever tissues and cells are growing at a rapid pace as is the case with infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy. Unlike the other B complex vitamins, a deficiency of folic acid is actually a common occurrence and can lead to folic-acid-deficiency anemia Which carries with it gastrointestinal issues, and symptoms such as poor growth, gingivitis, tongue inflammation, loss of appetite, shortness of breath, irritability, forgetfulness and mental sluggishness. A lack of folic acid during pregnancy can lead to birth defects with the most common being neural tube defects which are birth defects of the brain, spine, and spinal cord and occur during the first month of pregnancy often before a woman even knows that she is pregnant. Good sources of Folic Acid are dark leafy greens, Asparagus, Avocado, Spinach, turnips, lima beans, soybeans, sunflower seeds, liver, salmon, orange juice, and milk. Taking high doses of folic acid through a supplement, that is doses beyond the recommended daily amount can lead to skin reactions, sleep problems, stomach problems, nausea, loss of appetite, and even seizures.