Charles

After having lunch with the guys, I came back to my hotel room and got ready for dinner with Christopher. I couldn't lie and say I wasn't nervous. I knew what he was going to ask and I knew what I was going to respond with, but still, the nerves were still there. Finishing up my hair, Christopher called me saying he was outside.

I had decided to wear a simple midi black dress, going down to the lobby I saw Christopher wearing a blue button-up linen shirt with some white slacks. "Babe, you look beautiful," Christopher said as he grabbed me by my waist and kissed my cheek.

"You look nice too, Christopher," he did look nice. He knew how to dress well regardless of being a baseball player who spends more than half of his time in a baseball uniform.

"Come on, let's take you to dinner." Bringing me to his car we made our way to a beach where there was a secluded spot with a single table. There were candles that surrounded the table and candles that were placed on the table. It was a beautiful setup.

Most of the time throughout dinner Christopher was talking about how he was potentially going to be signing with another team and the way that could change his entire career. However, as the night went on and I tried my best to actually give my full attention to Christopher but I couldn't help but think of last night with Charles. The dinner was absolutely stunning, the place he had chosen, the food, the conversation, the unintentional matching of clothes, everything. Nothing could compare to last night.

Finally, after we had dessert and we were ready to leave Christopher took my hand. "Alaina. I need to ask you something big." Dear God, here we go. "This whole night, our whole lives have led up to this moment. I know we haven't been together for such a long time but I have thought about this for quite some time now." Standing up from his chair I watched as Christopher took something from his pocket and knelt down on one knee. "Valentine Alaina Senna, will you marry me?" Looking down at him my whole body froze. What the fuck. "I know this feels too soon but we can get married by the end of your season or before. Whenever you'd like. What do you say?" This couldn't be happening, he was supposed to ask me to be his girlfriend, not this.

Looking at the ring and back at him I couldn't speak up. I felt sick to my stomach and my mind went completely blank.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity I stood up in front of him, nodding my head, "No."

"What?" Christopher questioned, as he stood up as well, his face going pale.

"No," I repeated turning to grab my purse from the table. "I don't want to marry you. I can't marry you, Christopher."

"Why not? We are good together. We are meant for each other. Why can you not marry me?"

"I'm not sure," was all I could respond. "All I know is that I can't marry you."

"No, I get it," He began, as he sat down. "It's always going to be him."

"Who?"

"Charles. I should've known."

"Christopher..." I whispered as I sat down again.

"It's always going to be him, Alaina. And it's fine. I can't stop you from loving him. I can't stop you from not wanting to marry me."

"You'll find someone, Christopher. Maybe not me, but someone's out there waiting for you," grabbing his hand I began to caress his knuckles in a comforting way.

Looking down at our hands a small smile crept on his face as he let out a sigh, "Come on, let's get you back to your hotel room."

The ride back to the hotel was silent. It wasn't awkward or peaceful, it was just silent. But it gave me time to reflect on what Christopher said.

Charles was the reason I had said no. My heart aches for him. The moment I met him my soul danced with joy, and ever since that day I feel as though I can not live without him. Any moment apart from him has been a living hell, and any moment with him has been heaven-sent. He is the only reason why I am here. He is all that I have, all that I want, all that I am.