Chapter Thirty-Four

💕Author's Note: Hey, gorgeous! Read ahead (over 100 chapters) by becoming a patron at www.EmendedHearts.com/join

💗💗💗

As we get closer and closer to the entrance, my eyes remain glued to my window as I admire the surrounding forestry. Tall, obscuring trees line up on either side of us, evenly spaced from one another, breaking up the monotony of the tar road with their rich, earthy colors.

I keep wondering how the hell these trees are so damn green with all the snowstorms we've been having.

A moment later, we finally arrive at the mansion, and boy, they weren't kidding when they said mansion! The car slows to a halt, and we stop in front of the largest pair of gates I've ever seen in my life.

Jeez, if this is only what it looks like on the outside, I can't even begin to imagine what's waiting for us indoors. I didn't even know they had houses like this in Wisconsin! I feel like I'm in some extra-posh part of Beverly Hills or something.

We get to the security checkpoint a few feet away from the ginormous double gates. We pull up beside the check point window, and a man appears from behind it a second later.

His face comes into full view as he steps closer to the car, and I realize he's a pretty good-looking guy. He looks sharp, in a crisp black tuxedo that looks brand new. I also quickly realize that he's a security guard.

Holy hell. Even the freaking security guards are dressed like royalty here. He looks like something out of Men In Black— with a little bit of Abercrombie and Fitch thrown in. He's actually really hot.

Nicole pulls out a silver-plated card from her clutch and hands it to him, smiling seductively. He gives it a quick glance before sliding it through some sort of scanner, presumably to verify its authenticity.

The scanner beeps once, and the grand gates unlock with an almost robotic sound. The metal barriers part from each other slowly, raising themselves as if for dramatic effect.

I can't hide my amazement, feeling a little more than stunned at the impressive sight. It's almost as if the large, barred gates are reaching for the heavens. Considering how big this place is, I guess a dramatic entryway is quite fitting.

He hands Nicole her card back, giving her a flirtatious smile of his own with a nod of his head.

"Enjoy your time here, ladies," he says, gesturing with his hand before resuming his position behind the security check stand.

"Thank you, we will," Nicole says, still giving the security hottie her extra friendly smile. She slips him a piece of paper and gives him a wink just before she takes off again, driving through the imposing gates and into the compound.

***

We pull up to a large roundabout, and I can't help noticing that several other cars are pulling up here as well—from expensive Lamborghini and Ferrari coupes and two-seater Bentleys, to large SUVs and Hummer limos, and all sorts of brand name race cars.

I suddenly feel extremely self-conscious and out of place. This is not at all my kind of scene. In fact, it's the furthest thing from it.

I know Mindy said their clients were rich, but this was not at all what I was expecting. Not even close.

Nicole leaves the engine on and gets out, and I reluctantly follow suit, stepping out into the chilly night. A blast of cold wind blows over us, as if in harsh greeting, and I instinctively wrap my arms around myself.

I wish they'd let us bring our coats, but Nicole said it's against the rules. Apparently, the idea is to get a client or one of his rich friends to offer you his so that you have a reason to see him again and another opportunity to "build your network."